PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Boxes

Gary Cobb
03-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I have seen 3 or 4 of these(first photo) used for main disconnects or sub-panels. Since they don't have dead fronts under the hinged door and were not locked (secured) shut I noted that they were a shock hazard since the energized stuff is fully exposed once the door is opened.
Any advice?
The second photo is just for grins. This was in a house that had just gotten an Electrical Inspection by another potential buyer. This type of inspection is big in my "neck of the woods" instead of a complete inspection. The electrican didn't mention a thing. The screws were quiet long by the way.

Billy Stephens
03-09-2009, 07:44 PM
Where else would you put your clothes rod bracket ? :D

Gunnar Alquist
03-09-2009, 08:20 PM
I have seen 3 or 4 of these(first photo) used for main disconnects or sub-panels. Since they don't have dead fronts under the hinged door and were not locked (secured) shut I noted that they were a shock hazard since the energized stuff is fully exposed once the door is opened.

Gary,

I note the same thing and suggest securing or locking. As a kid, I was always opening stuff like that.

Matt Fellman
03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
I agree.... I always write up the ones with open connections or the ones that have the flimsy cardboard like stuff inside and recommend they be secured closed.

John Kogel
03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Gary,

I note the same thing and suggest securing or locking. As a kid, I was always opening stuff like that.

This one came with fuses waiting to be played with, kind of a rec area at the other end of the basement, live wires. :confused:

John Kogel
www.allsafehome .ca