PDA

View Full Version : Scary moment this morning

Jack Feldmann
03-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Weird stuff was going on in the house this morning, and when I was checking the ground wire in the crawlspace, it arced when I touched it.

Gunnar Alquist
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Weird stuff was going on in the house this morning, and when I was checking the ground wire in the crawlspace, it arced when I touched it.

Well, I'm not an expert Jack, (but I play one on TV). However, it seems like that might be a problem. ;)

Jack Feldmann
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I was going to use that phrase that Rick Hurst saw the other day, something like, "Normal arcing that you would expect from an old house that had a crappy electrician..", but changed my mind.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
03-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Whoa:eek: ! That's a fine how-de-dooo-die:o !

Ted Menelly
03-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Nothing like a nice stmulating drink of water. Probably an electrocution staion for water born microbes.

brian schmitt
03-19-2009, 04:58 PM
redneck water heater?

Fred Warner
03-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Sounds like neutral return current. Not good.

Jeff Remas
03-19-2009, 07:04 PM
Looks like someone probably lost a neutral.

They should have alarm systems for lost neutrals that shuts down the systems. You probably have a ton of ohms in the return path to the POCO transformer.

Michael Thomas
03-20-2009, 04:37 AM
"Electric water heater has exposed heating element and electrical connections, inoperative controls, incorrect overcurrent protection and lacks TPRV... " :D

Randy Aldering
03-20-2009, 06:14 AM
It would have been interesting to put an amp meter on that, and see what kind of current was moving. This is the stuff that home inspectors find that can save a life. Good catch!

I usually write this up as "current on ground" and note the amps, along with a reference for a licensed electrician. Some electricians have no clue how to address these problems. I have found an electrical engineer in Florida that specializes in this, and have referred his services to electricians who don't know where to begin.

Jerry Peck
03-20-2009, 07:05 AM
Jack,

Excellent catch.

Did you by any chance put your clip on ammeter on it as Randy suggested? Would be curious to know how much it was.

As others have said, those are the things which can kill people and make your day.

Jack Feldmann
03-22-2009, 06:49 AM
I had let my neighbor use my meter, so I didn't have it with me. THE ONE TIME I REALLY NEEDED IT!

John Kogel
03-22-2009, 07:47 PM

Jack, you went and touched it, now the clamp is loose and the wiring's all haywire. :)