PDA

View Full Version : Dodged a bullet

Rick Cantrell
03-20-2009, 03:25 PM
Todays inspection was a rehad from We Buy Butt Ugly Houses.
The workers were still there doing the punch list for the owner.
The buyers agent was there with me also. I go to turn on the AC... nothing.
So I check the breaker, it's OK. Now I go outside to the unit (brand new Rheem Heat pump just installed yesterday) the disconnect is off. I tell the buyers agent " I do not turn on ANY breaker that is off". He tells me "Go ahead. it's OK". Me "NO WAY". I tell him why I don't turn on breakers, so he calls the seller. Seller gets on phone with one of the workers. Worker turns on breaker.
CLANG, CLANG,CLANG, BANG, WHEEER, BANG (you get the idea).
New unit, was NEVER tested, not even turned on.
AC man shows up in short time and says, " Who ?!!*% turned it on^&%! ?
I wasn't $@#! finished with it !@#% yet *##!!"
Sure glad it wasn't me!

Ron Bibler
03-20-2009, 05:11 PM
So I check the breaker, it's OK. Now I go outside to the unit (brand new Rheem Heat pump just installed yesterday) the disconnect is off. I tell the buyers agent " I do not turn on ANY breaker that is off". He tells me "Go ahead. it's OK". Me "NO WAY". I tell him why I don't turn on breakers, so he calls the seller. Seller gets on phone with one of the workers. Worker turns on breaker.
Sure glad it wasn't me!

Good call Rick...

Best

Ron

Matt Fellman
03-21-2009, 12:25 AM
A couple Saturdays ago I was doing an inspection only to find out the water was off. I told the agent and the normal hub bub ensued. Calls to the listing agent, etc, etc. It turns out is actually was the water company's fault and they sent a guy out to unlock the meter and turn it on.

So, guy shows up (in a hurry because it's Saturday), turns the meter on and pretty much bolts. About 2 minutes later (I'm still standing at the curb with the agent), water starts cascading down off the opened garage door like a waterfall. It turns out the pipe that runs up and over the garage to the corner hose bib wasn't drained and had burst over the winter. It took a few minutes for the water to really start coming out of the ceiling but, wow, did it ever come out....

Speculating that I might get blamed, I told the agent to tell the lisitng agent that normally it goes agaisnt the state SOPs for me to use any shut-off valves but I went ahead and made an exception this time and turned the water off for him :)

I'm with you, Rick... I'm glad I wasn't the one to turn it on!

Ron Hasil
03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
Sure glad it wasn't me!
The fault falls on the a/c installer for not putting some sort of lock out on the unit. As a plumber if I have to shut water off for a reason and had to run out to get parts I always find a way to lock the valve with a note stating not to turn the service on.

Doug Haglund
03-24-2009, 07:17 AM
I also agree with Rick, on not touching any breakers, main water valves, ect. I have been in many situations where somebody want me to plug something in, turn on a breaker, turn on main water valve. NOT ME.

Michael Thomas
03-24-2009, 07:26 AM
"Dodged a bullet"

IMO, more like: "Agent wanted me to put gun to me head and give the cylinder a spin, but I refused to pull the trigger. Owner, not so much".