PDA

View Full Version : no drain or valves

Jerome W. Young
03-23-2009, 06:25 PM
this pool equipment had no drain or a sinlge valve in the line. Are these necessary?

Robert Olson
03-23-2009, 06:44 PM
IMO depnds on whether installed per mfg specs, above or in ground and is there a local code regarding the install. Pool drainage can be accomplished by several ways. Is the pool filled by garden hose or a permanent line? My biggest concern is how the electrical circuit is protected?

Jerry Peck
03-23-2009, 06:59 PM
Yes, you have to be able to drain the pool some way.

Is that flexible piping or is that PVC heated and bent like that?

This is what I found in the Florida Building Code, Residential.

R4101.6.2 Required equipment. (underlining is mine)
- Every swimming pool shall be equipped complete with approved mechanical equipment consisting of filter, pump, piping valves and component parts.
- - Exception: Pools with a supply of fresh water equivalent to the volume of the pool in the specified turnover time will be allowed.

Plus this:
- R4101.6.1 Conformance standard.
- - Design, construction and workmanship shall be in conformity with the requirements of ANSI/NSPI 3; ANSI/NSPI 4; ANSI/NSPI 5; and ANSI/NSPI 6.

Then, in the ANSI/NSPI 5, American Standard for Residential Inground Swimming Pools, it says:
- Article IX
- - Circulation Systems Components and Equipment
- - - 9.3 Piping and Fittings: blah, blah, blah
- - - - 9.3.2 Equipment shall be designed and fabricated to drain the pool water from the equipment, together with exposed face piping, by removal of drain plugs and manipulating valves, or by other methods. Refer to manufacturer's instructions for specific information on draining the system.

Jerome W. Young
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
the part on the valves is less than clear i would say, but i have never seen one without a valve in front of the pump at least.

That heater line is white flex pipe.:o

Tony Mount
03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
The system can be drained by removing the filter cover and running the pump.

Jerry Peck
03-23-2009, 08:02 PM
the part on the valves is less than clear i would say, but i have never seen one without a valve in front of the pump at least.

Yep, "less than clear" is a good way to put it, but, it could also be construed as meaning a valve is required.

Regardless, that long pipe between the pump outlet and the filter looks like a *real easy place* to install a tee and a valve between the tee and the filter with another valve off the tee for a drain.

Well worth recommending a drain valve be installed, would be cheap and easy.

That heater line is white flex pipe.:o

That's what it looked like. :(