PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory CO detectors in Colorado

Terry Sandmeier
03-27-2009, 09:00 PM
As of 3/25/09 HB 1091 requiring CO detectors in all houses before they are listed in for sale has been signed by the GOV. Ritter and will be in effect starting 8/1/09.

1) NOTWITHSTANDING ANY OTHER PROVISION OF LAW, EACH
11 EXISTING SINGLE-FAMILY DWELLING OFFERED FOR SALE OR TRANSFER ON
12 OR AFTER JULY 1, 2009, THAT HAS A FUEL-BURNING HEATER OR
13 APPLIANCE, A FIREPLACE, OR AN ATTACHED GARAGE SHALL HAVE AN
14 OPERATIONAL CARBON MONOXIDE ALARM INSTALLED WITHIN TEN FEET OF
15 THE ENTRANCE TO EACH ROOM LAWFULLY USED FOR SLEEPING PURPOSES.

There is also a provision that any rental properties that change tenants after this period must comply with this law.

This has really gotten attention after a family of four was found dead in there multi-million dollar home in Aspen and a 23 year old DU student was killed by Carbon Monoxide. In both of these incidences there was not a CO detector in the house.

In the winter time in Colorado 83% of homes are heated by gas of solid fuel appliances and in the winter time there is obviously increased use for heating.

I believe this is a great requirement for the safety of any home owner. I have always recommended CO and smoke and fire alarms to be upgraded and installed accordingly. This will get a few more people motivated to safety in the house.

Harry Settle
04-03-2009, 07:16 PM
They went mandatory in Minnesota last year, now they are all hanging from the ceilings in pieces, just like a lot of the smoke detectors.

Billy Stephens
04-03-2009, 07:28 PM
]

[/SIZE] In the winter time in Colorado 83% of homes are heated by gas of solid fuel appliances and in the winter time there is obviously increased use for heating.
What kind of fuel and or heater ? :confused:

Terry Sandmeier
04-03-2009, 07:47 PM
What kind of fuel and or heater ?

Billy:
I had re read my post and I mis spelled - or - in the sentence, In the winter time in Colorado 83% of homes are heated by gas of solid fuel appliances and in the winter time there is obviously increased use for heating. It should read In the winter time in Colorado 83% of homes are heated by gas or solid fuel appliances and in the winter time there is obviously increased use for heating.

Does that clear it up for you?

Billy Stephens
04-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Billy:
I had re read my post and I mis spelled - or - in the sentence, In the winter time in Colorado 83% of homes are heated by gas of solid fuel appliances and in the winter time there is obviously increased use for heating. It should read In the winter time in Colorado 83% of homes are heated by gas or solid fuel appliances and in the winter time there is obviously increased use for heating.

Does that clear it up for you?
Yep. ;)

Bruce Breedlove
09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Still no word on who is responsible to ensure that homes sold or rented in Colorado have operational CO detectors. It certainly is not my job. Maybe it is the Realtor's job. (They get paid more than I do.)

But that begs the question: What about houses that are sold (or rented) without a home inspector or real estate agent?

Rick Hurst
09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Please no one call TREC and tell them about this! :D

rick

Ron Bibler
09-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Did we not have a post some time back on how these things did not work very well. or was it that they were to low on the wall?

Ive had one of them things in my home for the past 12 years.

dang thing has never gone of ?

Best

Ron

Bruce Breedlove
09-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Did we not have a post some time back on how these things did not work very well. or was it that they were to low on the wall?

CO is lighter than air. Plus it is usually created when something is burned so CO is often found in warmer air which tends to rise. So CO will typically collect near the ceiling.

For those reasons the best location for a CO detector is either on the ceiling or high on a wall, not below knee level at an electrical outlet. By the time the CO accumulates enough for a detector near the floor to detect it it may be too late for those that breathe the air above the electrical outlets.

DavidR
09-19-2009, 07:19 AM
CO is lighter than air. Plus it is usually created when something is burned so CO is often found in warmer air which tends to rise. So CO will typically collect near the ceiling.

For those reasons the best location for a CO detector is either on the ceiling or high on a wall, not below knee level at an electrical outlet. By the time the CO accumulates enough for a detector near the floor to detect it it may be too late for those that breathe the air above the electrical outlets.

You're dead on Bruce.

Any of you guys close to Denver I will be there in two weeks teaching a three day certification course on this very topic.

Would be nice to put some faces to some names.

Bruce Breedlove
09-22-2009, 07:47 PM
David,

Drop me a line with some info on your course. Not sure if I will be able to attend but you never know.

Bruce

DavidR
09-23-2009, 01:13 PM
David,

Drop me a line with some info on your course. Not sure if I will be able to attend but you never know.

Bruce

You've got a PM Bruce.

Bob Harper
09-23-2009, 03:04 PM
You won't be sorry you took this course. A TON of eye opening info. and David really knows his stuff. I highly recommend it. Being a great HVAC tech, he can relate real world applications and experience to it. He also practices what he preaches.
Bob

Ted Menelly
09-23-2009, 04:03 PM
Still no word on who is responsible to ensure that homes sold or rented in Colorado have operational CO detectors. It certainly is not my job. Maybe it is the Realtor's job. (They get paid more than I do.)

But that begs the question: What about houses that are sold (or rented) without a home inspector or real estate agent?

I would say that if the Gov put it into law then you should make it one of your safety write ups. I have been writing detectors missing or not working for ever. Smoke, heat CO what ever should be used for the particular home.

I know Rick had the big Grinning face on his post but we here in Texas write detectors up all the time. It should be part of any home inspectors findings.

Now if there is an exact spot in any home such as 2 feet from here or no further than 5 feet from there is a whole nother topic of convo.

At the least smoke detctors in every sleeping room and outside those sleeping areas and CO detectors in any area that has a furnace, water heater etc should be the minimum write up.

DavidR
09-24-2009, 02:52 PM
You won't be sorry you took this course. A TON of eye opening info. and David really knows his stuff. I highly recommend it. Being a great HVAC tech, he can relate real world applications and experience to it. He also practices what he preaches.
Bob

Thanks for the vote of confidence Bob!

Saw some things in Wyoming last week that I would have previously said were impossible.

1.7% O2 stable and venting. :eek: