PDA

View Full Version : Access Denied

Nick Ostrowski
03-31-2009, 04:27 PM
I'd like to have a conversation with the brainiac who did this so I could ask him what the #$%& he was thinking.

Michael Thomas
03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Are you certain "thinking" was involved?

Rick Cantrell
03-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Nick
You have the Shutoff valve, then the union, then a PROPERLY installed trap, all in black pipe, with an outlet and switch, gee WHAT ELSE DO YOU WANT?;)

Rick Hurst
03-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Nick,

At least it has a sediment trap.

The ones I like is where they run the condensate drain line directly in front of the air filter panel. You have to remove the drain line just to change out the air filter.

rick

Jerry Peck
03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
The ones I like is where they run the condensate drain line directly in front of the air filter panel. You have to remove the drain line just to change out the air filter.

Which is not allowed and is an improper installation as all manufacturer's installation instruction I recall state not to route the lines, piping or wiring so as to restrict removal of the doors/panels for service and filter replacement.

Nick Ostrowski
03-31-2009, 05:53 PM
The dope completely bypassed the manufacturer provided knockouts for the gas line and drilled a hole straight through the panel. The unit no longer has a sealed combustion chamber and the only way to remove the panel is to disconnect the gas line.

BRILLIANT!!!

Matt Fellman
03-31-2009, 07:27 PM
I nominate that for our wall of shame.... that's outstanding!

Bob Harper
04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
No side clearance= poor planning. From the paint overspray, it appears to be from new construction. Nick, you said the combustion chamber is no longer sealed. Isn't this a Cat. IV furnance? If so, that would make this just the service panel, right or am I missing something.
Bob

Nick Ostrowski
04-01-2009, 09:49 AM
Well by design, the combustion chamber would have been sealed but in hindsight, they can still pull combustion air from around the unit and it would still be OK.

Actually Bob, this is from an all-star Philly rehab.

A.D. Miller
04-01-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd like to have a conversation with the brainiac who did this so I could ask him what the #$%& he was thinking.

Nick: If that plug in the receptacle is a cord and plug connection for the unit it is not allowed.

Nick Ostrowski
04-01-2009, 01:26 PM
Why is that Aaron?

A.D. Miller
04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
Why is that Aaron?

Nick: From the goodman manual:

ELECTRICAL SUPPLY CONNECTIONS

The electrical requirements are listed on the series and rating plate on the furnace. A separate supply line with a current overload device and a manual switch, where required, must be installed.
Type “T” wire or equivalent with a minimum rating of 95oF ( 35oC ) temperature rise must be run directly from the main power supply to the junction box in the furnace. Copper conductors are required.

422.16 Flexible Cords.
(A) General. Flexible cord shall be permitted (1) for the connection of appliances to facilitate their frequent interchange or to prevent the transmission of noise or vibration or (2) to facilitate the removal or disconnection of appliances that are fastened in place, where the fastening means and mechanical connections are specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance or repair and the appliance is intended or identified for flexible cord connection.

I'm certain to have this idea shredded, corrected, collated, and flushed by the resident whiz kids, but hey, I can take it.:D