PDA

View Full Version : What kind of crawlspace system is this?

Stephen Houmard
04-06-2009, 04:52 AM
Hello.
I need help. What kind of crawl space system is this? This is the first time I have seen this.
There are no piers, just walls on cement footers.
The home is in the swamps of Charleston SC near the earth quake fault line. We had 3 inches of rain the day before.
Ther walls are bolted in place and there is plywood on them for shear. The home was built in 1995. The home is great shape...Im just unaware of this system.

John Arnold
04-06-2009, 05:06 AM
Try going to the archives
InspectionNews.com - Home Inspection Home Inspector Inspection Report (http://www.inspectionnews.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&category=1)
and search "wood foundation" without the quotes. I think there are quite a few threads and links that might be helpful.

Nick Ostrowski
04-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Stephen, your pics are pretty small and don't maximize at all for great detail. Not sure what size you're compressing them to but 800x600 seems to work out pretty well.

Trent Tarter
04-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Continuous concrete footings with pony wall support. All of the newer homes in my area are built this way, but without the OSB. This is a much better system than support posts on concrete footings.

Trent Tarter
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Are the perimeter walls concrete? it's hard to tell from the small photos.

Brandon Whitmore
04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Trent,
I think he is talking about this being the foundation (perimeter). It looks like a perimeter strip footing with a cripple wall supporting the structure of the home. (post/ pier' ish)

I've always called the middle bearing wall set on a strip footing an intermediate bearing wall, and they don't have sheathing attached in my area either (there's probably a better term for this support wall).

Ron Bibler
04-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Looks like you may have some ventilation issue ?

Best

Ron