PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Patrick McCaffery
04-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Is there an end of life for carbon monoxide detectors or a recommendation as to when they should be replaced?

John Dirks Jr
04-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I always recommend that the manufacturers instructions be followed. They talk about replacement time lines in their owners manuals.

If one does not have the manual, the information can usually be aquired online if you have the model number.

wayne soper
04-06-2009, 04:12 PM
If you were moving into a house with your young family, would you trust a smoke or carbon monoxide detector that was present when you bought the home?
I always recommend installing new units, unless the house is new. And then I recommend testing by installing contractor.
So the life expectancy of a carbon monoxide detector is" new or replace"

Gunnar Alquist
04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Is there an end of life for carbon monoxide detectors or a recommendation as to when they should be replaced?

Some of the CO detectors have a specific cartridge that contains the battery pack and sensor. That way, you have a new sensor whenever you replace the battery pack.

Brian Robertson
04-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I work full time at Fire Dept. We get CO calls every day and most are for detectors that are malfunctioning (giving false alarms) and most are not older than 5 yrs. Which means I don't think they can be trusted after 5 yrs. IMO. We recommend replacing them before they reach 5 yrs. from the date stamped on them.

Daniel Leung
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
We recommend replacing them before they reach 5 yrs. from the date stamped on them.

Yes, First Alert alarms are warranted for 5 years, then it should be replaced every 5 years for maximum protection. The new model of "combination smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector" (http://www.firstalert.com/carbon_monoxide_alarms_item.php?pid=25) chirps when it is time to replace it. (see FAQs Carbon Monoxide Alarms FAQs (http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/learning/carbon-monoxide-alarms-faqs.aspx))

I always recommend the homeowner keep a less than 2-year CO alarm in the house. If you have more than 2 alarms, you may buy a new alarm every 2 year and throw away the oldest one.

For the commercial grade CO alarm using in the underground garage, needs calibration every 1-2 years by the dealer.

DavidR
04-08-2009, 03:26 PM
If the CO alarm has a UL 2034 rating stamped on it there isn't a lot of protection being offered by it in the first place.

Even if it is brand new it's no guarantee it will work.