PDA

View Full Version : What's in your bag?

Ryan Busch
04-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I want to add a circuit tester to my tool bag. I know Sure Test is popular, but what model do you prefer? I do not need a $400 unit if a $200 unit gets the job done. thanx, Ryan

Kevin Barre
04-07-2009, 04:45 PM
I have a Sure Test, but I bought it off eBay. Like new, w/all manuals and not a scratch on it. Paid just a little over half new cost for it.

I suggest that you decide which one you want, and research new costs and prices of completed auctions on eBay. With HI's leaving the profession in droves these days there should be a lot of equipment on eBay. When you find a good deal, pounce on it.

John Arnold
04-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I have a Sure Test, but I bought it off eBay...

Kevin - I'm just curious. I have a Sure Test, and I think they have a lifetime warranty. Do you happen to know if the warranty is still in effect when you buy used?

Kevin Barre
04-07-2009, 05:49 PM
Kevin - I'm just curious. I have a Sure Test, and I think they have a lifetime warranty. Do you happen to know if the warranty is still in effect when you buy used?
No, I don't. Since I've generally had good luck with non-abused modern electronics from a reputable MFR, I quit worrying about warranties if the price is right. I wouldn't usually take the risk for $50, but I will for a hundred or more. If it works out of the box, it's generally good for a long time. My experience is that most electronics that aren't DOA are good for a long time. As I see it, if it lasts several years and dies, the money I saved will generally go a long way towards buying a newer, more capable unit at that point.

JB Thompson
04-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I used a ST 165 for years and recently switched to a 61-059. It's lighter and easier to use and only requires one hand. The large one does so much more than I need. I still have it (probably should sell it) but I keep thinking I may need it for something.

One of my gripes on the large one is that the cord comes out at the top. I would get false readings -- have to unplug/replug the cord -- just to get an accurate reading. If you add up each of those extra seconds across the whole house and then add in the frustration factor...you go buy an 059. :)

Jason Kaylor
04-18-2009, 09:55 AM
2 year warranty on the Ideal circuit tracers. The 61-059 is the GFCI/AFCI tester. The 61-164, 61-165 or the larger 61-954, 61-956 and 61-958 are the circuit tracers they make. From my knowledge most inspectors will actually use both the 61-059 and 61-165.

The 954, 956, and 958 have a rating up to 15 feet underground and through walls. For the 164 and 165 the circuit needs to be closed, whereas the 954, 956 and 958 work on both open and closed circuits.

Martin Grant
04-18-2009, 10:15 AM
What is the benefit of a Suretest over using a regular 3-pin tester and a wiggy, for regular home inspections?