PDA

View Full Version : Outlet above fireplace

Matt Fellman
04-07-2009, 10:03 AM
I always call out outlets over baseboard heaters and stoves and this installation got me wondering.....

Presumably the outlet is for a flat screen TV and I've seen these in recessed openings above fireplaces. But, I don't recall seeing outlets over directly over a fireplace on the same vertical plane (well, almost the same, the tile bumps out 3/8" or so).

If this is okay, is there a distance above the fireplace that becomes not okay?

The outlet is roughly 24" above the top of the fireplace.

Jim Luttrall
04-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I would think this would be OK since combustibles are OK at that distance. I don't know of any specific prohibition.
If there was a compliant wood mantel there and an outlet for a clock I would not think twice about it.
Most TV instructions will limit placement above a heat source, but that is a different question.

Jerry Peck
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not aware of any prohibition either.

Rick Cantrell
04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
As Jerry said, in many older homes it is very common to see an outlet above the FP.

Sidestepping here.
How many of you have seen an outlet ABOVE a doorway, an what do you think it was for? Hint, see Jerry's post above.

Scott Patterson
04-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Without a mantle or a diverter hood at the top of the fireplace, it will cook any flat panel TV that is placed above it. I have seen it happen at a friends home.

ken horak
04-07-2009, 01:59 PM
The outlet over a fire place is becoming more common. There is no prohibitions against it.

Jim Luttrall
04-07-2009, 02:14 PM
As Jerry said, in many older homes it is very common to see an outlet above the FP.

Sidestepping here.
How many of you have seen an outlet ABOVE a doorway, an what do you think it was for? Hint, see Jerry's post above.

I am NOT Jerry!:eek:

Billy Stephens
04-07-2009, 06:01 PM
How many of you have seen an outlet ABOVE a doorway, an what do you think it was for?
Plug in Missle Toe ! :D

Rick Cantrell
04-07-2009, 07:44 PM
OOPS
Sorry
To the both of you.

archivoyeur
04-08-2009, 04:05 AM
Sidestepping here.

No Kidding! An outlet? Well, the Wagging Tail Kitty-Clock joins the ranks of the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny. You really don't wind it by wagging the tail?