PDA

View Full Version : Beetle Damage

Matt Fellman
04-08-2009, 01:59 PM
I always like to post these pictures when I run across some really extensive damage. Hopefully, it's helpful for anyone who has never run across it.

This is about the worst damage I have ever seen. Note the floor joist in the first picture compacting and crumbling over the beam. These joists were so riddled that I actually held back probing in some cases for fear of the hosue collapsing on me.

The second and third pictures are a before and after probing.

Rick Hurst
04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
Are you sure its not possibly dampwood termites?

rick

Jerry Peck
04-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Matt,

Good photos, but ... ;)

That damage is not that bad, it's only about a 4 on a 1-10 scale with 10 being really bad. :)

Rick,

Looks like powder post beetles to me.

Rick Hurst
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
I think your correct after looking at pic. 2 a bit more. Obvious exit holes so its probably as mentioned Powder Post beetles.

Here's another Beetle on a Post.:D

rick

Jerry Peck
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Here's another Beetle on a Post.:D

Rick,

Looks like snow (powder) on the ground in that photo, does that make that a ... powder ... post ... beetle? :D

Trent Tarter
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
It's Anobiid beetle damage (AKA the western deathwatch beetle). They are the most common wood destroying beetle found in the Northwest. They are typically pests of softwoods.

Ron Bibler
04-08-2009, 10:23 PM
It's Anobiid beetle damage (AKA the western deathwatch beetle). They are the most common wood destroying beetle found in the Northwest. They are typically pests of softwoods.

Say Trent... Do you known why they are called Deathwatch Beetles?:D

Best

Ron

A.D. Miller
04-09-2009, 02:10 AM
Say Trent... Do you known why they are called Deathwatch Beetles?:D

Best

Ron

Ron:

The death watch beetle is a beetle that produces a ticking sound by tapping its jaw on wood during the mating season. The sound has given rise to a superstition that it foretells death.