PDA

View Full Version : guardrail protection for retainer wall

bob welborn
04-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know what building code covers requirements for guardrail/ fall protection for high retainer walls on a golf course in Austin Texas area?
Thanks, Bob

Matt Fellman
04-09-2009, 09:19 AM
I remember looking into this years ago and, unless it's on a walkway or similar, there's really no requirement. The fact that it's a commercial location may change things and it was awhile ago so my memory might be the greatest.

In a residential code class I was taking I remember the teacher going off on a bit of a rant about this. Basically, that you could have a 50 foot dropoff at the back of a property and there's nothing in the code that makes it incorrect. A bad ides, yes. But not wrong.

Jerry Peck
04-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I remember looking into this years ago and, unless it's on a walkway or similar, there's really no requirement. The fact that it's a commercial location may change things and it was awhile ago so my memory might be the greatest.

In a residential code class I was taking I remember the teacher going off on a bit of a rant about this. Basically, that you could have a 50 foot dropoff at the back of a property and there's nothing in the code that makes it incorrect. A bad ides, yes. But not wrong.

Used to be wrong in the old Standard Building Code and in the old South Florida Building Codes, but the IRC and IBC do not (as I recall) address that.

If a "structure" was installed along that edge, then a guard would be required, a "concrete walkway" (sidewalk) is a "structure".

The ADAAG address it only minimally and only on an accessible path, and even then it needs to be a ramp, and if not sloped to be a ramp, then it needs to be properly sloped, etc., gets complicated.

Scott Patterson
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Is the retaining wall in the field of play or just on the property?

Jerry Peck
04-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Is the retaining wall in the field of play or just on the property?

Scott,

On a "golf course" EVERYTHING is in the field of play. :)

FORE!

Rick Hurst
04-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I've learned that even being in the rear yard or up on the roof of a home next to a golf course can be in the "field of play".:eek:

As OJ used to say, "Look out!"

rick

wayne soper
04-09-2009, 01:40 PM
I have never seen one stairway on any public course that is up to code.
Railings included. "We who make the rules do not have to live by them" is what comes to mind!
Now on a private course you may have some pull, but then you'de probably lose your membership.
Unless you already fell off and broke your neck in which case you may be the new owner.:D

Christopher Gorton
04-17-2009, 06:26 AM
It is required within 3 feet of a designated walkway, that's not classified as just any area where you can walk through. (unsure of the minimum height of the drop)
That said it has to be a liability issue and a bad idea in a heavily trafficked public area not to have obstructions at the top of the wall such as railings or areas with heavy planting.
Not required just sensible, i'll bet the insurance carrier would agree