PDA

View Full Version : RE; MOVING KITCHEN STOVE

daniel nantell
04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Just trying to get a consenus , does most inspectors pull kitchen stove out to check for gas shut off valves on Gas stoves and do you check for the anti -tip device to keep kids from turning stove over. What s the procedure for the anti-tip test. thanks

Billy Stephens
04-08-2009, 07:38 PM
does most inspectors pull kitchen stove out to check for gas shut off valves on Gas stoves
Nope. ( but a Mirror & Flashlight will work for Ya.)

do you check for the anti -tip device to keep kids from turning stove over.
Yep.

What s the procedure for the anti-tip test. thanks

Open the Oven door to (insert thermometer ) grab the Back Splash & give a tug.

Rick Hurst
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
In Texas, its the Law to do so.

rick

Clint White
04-08-2009, 08:10 PM
I bring my 7 year old son with me to stand on the open oven door.......kidding...just kidding....

John Arnold
04-09-2009, 03:17 AM
I usually demonstrate tipping the oven to the client and show them the warning label on the inside of the oven door.
And I look behind for the proper gas connection, if gas.
I do not measure the temp.

John Dirks Jr
04-09-2009, 04:00 AM
I usually demonstrate tipping the oven to the client and show them the warning label on the inside of the oven door.
And I look behind for the proper gas connection, if gas.
I do not measure the temp.

ditto

Jerry Peck
04-09-2009, 07:21 AM

rick

Rick,

To do which? Or both?

Jim Luttrall
04-09-2009, 02:30 PM
(d) Electric or gas ranges, cooktops, and
ovens. The inspector shall report as Deficient:
(1) inoperative unit(s);
(2) the lack of a gas shut-off valve;
(3) gas leaks; and
(4) deficiencies in the:
(A) controls and control panels;
(B) thermostat(s) sensor support;
(C) glass panels;
(D) door gasket(s), hinges, springs,
closure, and handles;
(E) door latch;
(F) heating elements or burners;
(G) thermostat accuracy (within 25
degrees at a setting of 350 °F);
(H) drip pans;
(I) lights and lenses;
(J) clearance to combustible
material;
(K) anti-tip device;
(L) gas shut-off valve(s) and
location(s);
(M) gas connector materials and
connections; and
(N) secure mounting of the unit.

Scott Patterson
04-09-2009, 02:50 PM
(d) Electric or gas ranges, cooktops, and
ovens. The inspector shall report as Deficient:
(1) inoperative unit(s);
(3) gas leaks; and
(4) deficiencies in the:
(A) controls and control panels;
(B) thermostat(s) sensor support;
(C) glass panels;
(D) door gasket(s), hinges, springs,
closure, and handles;
(E) door latch;
(F) heating elements or burners;
(H) drip pans;
(I) lights and lenses;
(J) clearance to combustible
material;
(K) anti-tip device;
location(s);
(M) gas connector materials and
connections; and
(N) secure mounting of the unit.

What! You don't have to report a dirty oven! :D

Billy Stephens
04-09-2009, 03:58 PM
What! You don't have to report a dirty oven! :D
Or if The Self Cleaning feature is present ( if So How Clean were the Results After One Full Cycle.) :D

Jerry Peck
04-09-2009, 06:31 PM
This is what I was asking:

pull kitchen stove out

To do which? Or both?

Pull the stove out to check for the gas valve?

Pull the stove out to check for anti-tip?

Still no answer to that.

Jim Luttrall
04-09-2009, 06:50 PM
I gave you the law, that has the answer.

Ted Menelly
04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Shoot, I even throw in an apple pie and bake it while I am inspecting. After the pie spills all over the oven I turn on the auto clean. When I cannot eat anymore pie I try out the garbage disposal and then of course the dish washer. After all that I need a cup of coffe and heat some water up in the micro wave. Of course I always drop some pie on my shirt and run the washing machine to see if the water drains down and does not over flow the pipe and in the mean time check the hot water temp and water pressure. Now after all that I have to use the facilities and try out a couple of the toilets and run the bath ceiling vents to see if I can get rid of the smell.

Just another day of inspecting

I forgot to add that while my clothes are drying I go up on the roof anf lift every shingle to check to make sure they are the proper fasteners and every shingle has the proper amout of fasteners. Now the cold is making me shiver and yeah know what happens next, I check that the gutters have the proper slope to drain water correctly and the down spouts are not clogged up.

Jerry Peck
04-09-2009, 07:49 PM
I gave you the law, that has the answer.

Jim,

Then I am blind and you will have to excuse me ... show me where it says you do, or do not, "have to move the stove".

Thanks, and allow the blind man to see.

Jim Luttrall
04-09-2009, 08:07 PM
The inspector shall report as Deficient:

(4) deficiencies in the:

(K) anti-tip device;
location(s);

No mention of moving anything but you must report.
We are not required or expected to move furnishings.

(a) Definitions.
(1) Accessible--In the reasonable
judgment of the inspector, capable of being
approached, entered, or viewed without:
(A) undue hazard to the inspector;
(B) moving furnishings or large,
heavy, or fragile objects;

Billy Stephens
04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Shoot, I even throw in an apple pie and bake it while I am inspecting. After the pie spills all over the oven I turn on the auto clean. When I cannot eat anymore pie I try out the garbage disposal and then of course the dish washer. After all that I need a cup of coffe and heat some water up in the micro wave. Of course I always drop some pie on my shirt and run the washing machine to see if the water drains down and does not over flow the pipe and in the mean time check the hot water temp and water pressure. Now after all that I have to use the facilities and try out a couple of the toilets and run the bath ceiling vents to see if I can get rid of the smell.

Just another day of inspecting

I forgot to add that while my clothes are drying I go up on the roof anf lift every shingle to check to make sure they are the proper fasteners and every shingle has the proper amout of fasteners. Now the cold is making me shiver and yeah know what happens next, I check that the gutters have the proper slope to drain water correctly and the down spouts are not clogged up.
Well Ted,

If Your only going to do Half of an Inspection Just Stay Home !

* just over look those jack & plumbing boots. Not to mention No Mop & Glow in The Kitchen and Halls. :D

Jerry Peck
04-09-2009, 08:51 PM
No mention of moving anything ...

Jim,

Thank you for the answer, no one gave that before, just posted the laws requirements and ignored the actual question.

So the blind man was not blind after all. That is good.

daniel nantell
04-09-2009, 08:58 PM
The gas range I have seen lately was impossible to see the gas line, shut off valve without moving the range out about 8 inches, I dont think its in our s.o.p to be moving ranges, I just state the line is not visible and cannot verify proper hook up, owner will have to follow up on moving the range to check for shut off valves and anti tip mech.

Its impossible on a home inspection to know all applicance are working perfectly on a 2 or 3 hour inspection, example refrigarators dont go into a defrost cycle for another 6 hours, I guess we will wait till the defrost cycle occurs before we give the unit a all clear.

Jim Luttrall
04-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Try removing the bottom drawer. On most newer stuff it is just and open cavity that gives you a pretty good view of the anti-tip bracket (or lack there of) and maybe if your lucky the gas line.

Richard Stanley
04-10-2009, 07:58 AM
You check refrigerators??
I think Ted explained the appropriate procedure for appliance inspection.
If you can't see the gas SO valve, it's not readily accessible.

Mike Schulz
04-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I always pull the bottom drawer also. Soemtimes it can be seen others it's not. But with all the crap under it I tell them to pull it out and clean it?

Steven Meyer
04-13-2009, 10:47 AM
I, myself, would NOT move any major kitchen appliance. Way to much liability if damage is caused to the floor!!

Stove, if not visible by removing the bottom drawer, tag it as such.

Would you "pull out" a refer with an ice maker to check for connections, shut off valve, or leaks in the line?

If items to be checked are not eaisly visible, I consider what my liability would be before proceeding. And, note that in the report. The only other option is to get a release of liability when moving appliances.

Jeff Mitchell
05-08-2009, 01:01 PM
I would agree with Steven. Moving appliances is not really something an inspector should have to do and you must always consider the liability just in case. You never know if the client is going to call in later to report floor damage or something like that. And if the valves or line are not accessible, just note that.

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I would agree with Steven. Moving appliances is not really something an inspector should have to do and you must always consider the liability just in case. You never know if the client is going to call in later to report floor damage or something like that. And if the valves or line are not accessible, just note that.

AND. have you ever seen what is "under" the appliance when it has not been moved if 30 years? YUCK!!!

Ted Menelly
05-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Checking the frig......Well, as Jerry does, I empty the frig of food and shelves....climb inside and close the door to see if the light goes off when the door is fully closed.

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Checking the frig......Well, as Jerry does, I empty the frig of food and shelves....climb inside and close the door to see if the light goes off when the door is fully closed.

I empty the fridge, and take the good stuff home!!

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 03:17 PM

I follow Ted and duct tape the frig. to prevent childeren from making the same mistake!!!

John Arnold
05-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I follow Ted and duct tape the frig. to prevent childeren from making the same mistake!!!

If there are any kids handy, I make one of them stand on the open oven door to demonstrate the dangers of the range tipping. My advice: pick the heaviest kid. It makes for a more dramatic demonstration.

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 03:22 PM

Same method for ovens??? Do you turn it to 350 to check the temp, or to self cleaning???

John Arnold
05-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Same method for ovens??? Do you turn it to 350 to check the temp, or to self cleaning???

Again, make use of any kids that happen to be hanging around. I mean, be realistic. How many of us could fit in an oven?

Ted Menelly
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM

Only if I am looking a little to much on the white side. We Italian/Cherokee Indian/Irish folks have to have that combo of olive tan/red skin look to us or else we just don't look right. The self cleaning inside the oven is just a bit to much. Get kinda crispy looking thrying that one.

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Only if I am looking a little to much on the white side. We Italian/Cherokee Indian/Irish folks have to have that combo of olive tan/red skin look to us or else we just don't look right. The self cleaning inside the oven is just a bit to much. Get kinda crispy looking thrying that one.

Thought maybe you were looking at the oven as a tanning booth.
Being Irish we don't tan, we burn!!

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Again, make use of any kids that happen to be hanging around. I mean, be realistic. How many of us could fit in an oven?

A cat or small dog could work???

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 04:20 PM

Of course, there is another option. Check the refer, pull out that T Bone steak, micro on defrost, broil it in the oven, enjoy a great lunch, and you have verified three appliances!!!

And they say there are no benefits in this business!!

Works, also, in "testing" that build in BBQ!!!

Kinda like, "will work for food". one must think "out of the box"!!

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 04:29 PM

TED

You are what is called a Kanardly! Can not hardly tell what you are!! Stay at a low oven temp!!!

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 04:35 PM
If there are any kids handy, I make one of them stand on the open oven door to demonstrate the dangers of the range tipping. My advice: pick the heaviest kid. It makes for a more dramatic demonstration.

A bowling ball weighs more, the down side is the sucker has the tendancy to roll off on your foot!!

Mike Schulz
05-09-2009, 06:41 AM
I use the Ted approach. Put Ted in Frig close door, then write it up as *Failed while Teding* recommend replacement.;)

Vern Heiler
05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I used to pull on the back of the range to see if it lifted but then started to worry about breaking something or tearing off a piece of Formica. So I now pull the bottom drawer and look under as Jim said. I have found quite a few other problems while looking for the anti-tip. Sometimes there is a 240 outlet that is not fastened to the wall or floor, sometimes the leveling foot is on top of the 120v wire going to the controls, sometimes the anti-tip is fastened to the top of Pergo type flooring (my favorite), and sometimes you can find really neat toys!

Use caution when removing the drawer as it can scratch wood or vinyl flooring when you set it to the side.