PDA

View Full Version : Conditions can and will change...

Clint White
04-09-2009, 08:24 PM
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk433/sihipro/bev065.jpg

Just got in from tonights inspection....

Went in the attic before the rain started, no leaks present. 20 minutes later.......holy cow anyone for a swim.....

Not that I would have missed it due to the fact the sheathing is obviously water damaged, but still.....what a good example of changing conditions.

Clint

Craig Holt
04-13-2009, 02:34 PM
obviously...this leak didn't just start...should have been water marks/stains on ceiling!!!:confused:

Brandon Whitmore
04-13-2009, 07:02 PM
I've seen some pretty good roof leaks that haven't shown through. Cellulose insulation seems to soak up a lot of water........

Clint White
04-13-2009, 08:38 PM
obviously...this leak didn't just start...should have been water marks/stains on ceiling!!!:confused:

Believe it or not, I scrambled down the ladder and went directly under the location where that large leak was.....no stain at all ??? No recent painting or anything else.....But all that aside you are correct, the rotten sheathing was evidence enough that this was not a new leak.

Clint

Matt Fellman
04-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Not sure if there's something else not pictured but I don't see any rotted sheathing. Water stained, yes, but it looks new.

In fact, the amount that appears to be leaking, it either has to be new or there is a guy hiding in the closet with a can of paint and a brush or you would see it in the living space below.

It's totally possible that something was messed up during the installation and just you walking on it caused it to start leaking. I had this happen on my own house once. I had a new roof installed and about two years later I went up to clean the gutters and blow the leaves off. I tripped and fell somewhat into the skylight and it started leaking about a week later. When the roofer came out to investigate he found his crew hadn't flashed it correctly.

Basically, my point is just your walking on it could have been what broke it open. Not that it's your fault (although, I'm sure you'll be blamed for it), but it's very possible that a small disturbance from above could be the trigger for a leak to start.

After all my rambling I forgot to even ask.... did you walk the roof?

Mike Truss Guy
04-14-2009, 12:20 AM
It would be a great place for a mushroom farm.

Craig Holt
04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I've never seen a roof leak that didn't show a mark/stain unless it was a new leak...

Clint White
04-14-2009, 08:27 PM
After all my rambling I forgot to even ask.... did you walk the roof?

I walked on the roof AFTER being in the attic. The sheathing you see in the picture was "extremely" soft and there were a number of other areas in the attic with "obviously" rotted sheathing.

My original post was just meant to be an example of how things can so quickly change....

Clint

Jerry Peck
04-15-2009, 06:07 AM
I've never seen a roof leak that didn't show a mark/stain unless it was a new leak...

A mark or a stain ... WHERE?

That is what you left out.

Inside the house on the ceiling? I've seen thousands of roof leaks without ANY stains on the ceiling.

Inside the attic on the roof decking? Ive seen several where the water was dripping through between the sheets of roof sheathing, yet there were not apparent stains on the roof sheathing.

I've also seen thousands of stained roof sheathing decks where there never has been a leak - because it rained during construction before the roof sheathing was protected, and after dry-in when they leak before the roof covering is applied.

Water stained rood sheathing does *not* mean there is a leak.

Jim Zborowski
04-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Water can do funny things when it leaks in. It might show up as a leak elswhere, or it may run down a rafter and exit at the soffit.
I once looked for a leak in a house that was showing up in an enclosed porch.
Not a drop of water anywhere in the attic during a heavy rain, yet was trickling through the ceiling. Finally took my protimeter in the attic. Found the leak......................15 feet away. Never would have found it without the protimeter. The roof sheathing was pulled up from the rafter maybe 3/32 of an inch and the water was running on top of the rafter where you couldn't see it. The source...........one of those old metal " fake brick" looking chimneys, with a leaking cap. The water filled up inside the fake chimney until it backed up to the hole for the flue to pass through, ran on the board and dripped onto another board, followed that one till it hit a staple, then down the side till it came through the tile ceiling.