PDA

View Full Version : Unknown fancy gizmo

Jonathan Cartwright
04-10-2009, 07:16 AM
On an inspection yesterday. The Orkin man was walking around the exterior of the house holding a small electronic thing, looks like a cross between a blackberry and a GPS, and he is sort of pointing it at the foundation. I jokingly asked if that was his termite detector but he said that it was used to check the foundation for cracks and note their width and depth.

Sounds like BS to me but has anyone ever seen somthing like this? He was reluctant to show me the unit and would not answer anymore questions about it.

Jim Luttrall
04-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Maybe a laser measuring tool?

Home Inspector Essentials: Extech DT100 Ultrasonic Distance Meter (http://www.hi-essentials.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HIE&Product_Code=DT100&Category_Code=MEASURINGTOOLS)

Jonathan Cartwright
04-10-2009, 07:41 AM
I don't think so Jim. This one had a bunch of keys on the front - like a blackberry, a stubby little antenna like a GPS, and a large LCD? display with what may have been menu options and a spectrum display like you might see on the front of a ham radio. I could not see it in very much detail.

Thank you

John Arnold
04-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Orkin man, my butt. He obviously is from the CIA.

Jonathan Cartwright
04-10-2009, 07:53 AM
Thank a lot John. That's just great!

Now you have exposed them and I have to keep an eye on my street corner for that Pizza van with all those antennas on the roof!

Guess I'll have to tell the kids we are moving again.

Rick Hurst
04-10-2009, 08:35 AM
It w3s probably some laser measuring device to sketch a graph of the foundation.

rick