PDA

View Full Version : Who wears a wet suit?

Rick Hurst
04-16-2009, 03:35 PM
Buyer and agent all upset cause I didn't enter the crawlspace. She said that I should have a wet suit so I could be able to do so.:mad:

I went out to the truck, got my coveralls and gave her my flashlight and told her to get under there and let me know what she thought. That didn't go over very well, although the buyer got my meaning.

I then had visions of the bartender from the movie "The Shining" where he tells Jack that he needs to "Correct" her.:D

Here some pics of the crawlspace and the last one of the realtor after I "corrected" her.

Rick

Ted Menelly
04-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I know those leggs. Thanks. I have been meening to correct her for some time :D

That is one of those crawls where Rick slowly sinks over his head in the muck and is never seen again.

Jim Luttrall
04-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I wonder what more she thought you would see if you could crawl around in the mud?
There is enough in your photos to kill the deal:D

Billy Stephens
04-16-2009, 04:44 PM
There is enough in your photos to kill the deal:D
Or You ( if any live wires were in contact with the Surface.)

Matt Fellman
04-16-2009, 08:16 PM
It must be nice down south to get wet sand to crawl through... Up here in Oregon we just get wet dirt..... otherwise known as mud.

Wet crawls are a very common part of life up here. I'm with you, Rick.... it's a no go. People get all pissy sometimes and I usually have the same comeback as you.... 'Come on, we'll both go together' :)

Jack Feldmann
04-16-2009, 09:37 PM
I would have reminded her that a wet suit is just that - wet. It does not keep you dry.
Then after explaining about wet suits and their use, I would have told her to..........
Well, I guess you did in a way.

Darin Redding
05-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Well that sure is nasty. I had some similar photos that I'll try to drum up. Things like this keep the job interesting that's for sure.

Darin

Randy Navarro
05-03-2009, 06:21 PM
When I see that much water I politely but firmly state I won't be getting in there.

Nolan Kienitz
05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Rick,

You are such a "nice guy" !!! :p

Brian Thomas
05-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Im sure that wouldnt go over well if you tell the buyer or realtor youre not going in there. It seems doubtful that you would ever get business from either one of them again.

If im a buyer and I see water like that in the crawl and Im running as fast as I can away from that house

Bruce Ramsey
05-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Im sure that wouldnt go over well if you tell the buyer or realtor youre not going in there. It seems doubtful that you would ever get business from either one of them again.

Licensing board SOPs indicate that I do not have to go anywhere that I think is too hazardous. I just have to state in the report that is was not inspected. Usually a good idea to state a reason why you could not inspect.

There are lots of reasons why an inspector should not go in that crawlspace. If a realtor thinks that I should be going in there, then I don't want their business. A few snaps of the camera from the door is enough evidence that the house has major problems and significant further evaluation needs to occur. Crawling through that soup of hazards is way beyond the job decription and expectations.

I am a state certified Hazardous Materials Responder. I also hold certifcations in building collapse, trench, and confined space rescue. That means I routinely train in conditions similar to full structural collapse, live burials, and very small spaces with extreme dangers. :D

I would not go in that crawl space. There is absolutely no reason to go in that crawl space as a home inspector. If you have difficulty convincing a realtor, buyer, or anyone else, then you do not understand the level of potential hazards present.

Brian Thomas
05-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Licensing board SOPs indicate that I do not have to go anywhere that I think is too hazardous. I just have to state in the report that is was not inspected. Usually a good idea to state a reason why you could not inspect.

There are lots of reasons why an inspector should not go in that crawlspace. If a realtor thinks that I should be going in there, then I don't want their business. A few snaps of the camera from the door is enough evidence that the house has major problems and significant further evaluation needs to occur. Crawling through that soup of hazards is way beyond the job decription and expectations.

I am a state certified Hazardous Materials Responder. I also hold certifcations in building collapse, trench, and confined space rescue. That means I routinely train in conditions similar to full structural collapse, live burials, and very small spaces with extreme dangers. :D

I would not go in that crawl space. There is absolutely no reason to go in that crawl space as a home inspector. If you have difficulty convincing a realtor, buyer, or anyone else, then you do not understand the level of potential hazards present.

I agree with you but the problem is that a buyers and realtors have unrealistic expectations about what we do. If we say we arent going into an area thats dangerous, they look at us as if we arent doing our job!

Im just trying to look at it through their point of view

Jim Luttrall
05-11-2009, 10:32 PM
I agree with you but the problem is that a buyers and realtors have unrealistic expectations about what we do. If we say we arent going into an area thats dangerous, they look at us as if we arent doing our job!

Im just trying to look at it through their point of view

I understand their point of view but it is our job to explain the correct point of view, we are the experts.
I am enough of an expert to tell them "that is a death trap" and then follow with "you are not paying me enough to risk my life. Call me when it gets cleaned up and safe and we can talk. In the mean time, I see x, y, and z from hear that need to be corrected."

I am not in business to please realtors nor try to suck up for future referrals.