PDA

View Full Version : Cost estimator

Tom Rees
04-16-2009, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for a good construction cost estimator site or software. What would you recommend?:D Thanks.

Joseph Melbourne
04-16-2009, 05:33 PM
When the Hurricanes hit Florida a few years back, I worked with some PA's (Public Adjusters) working up Estimates. The program I used was National renovation & Insurance repair. Cost me about $ 75.00 and comes with an easy to use CD. Had a interrogation under oat with Citizens insurance to defend my pricing and came out well. I also have a construction background and that helped.

Joseph Melbourne
04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Sorry, name of publisher for National Renovationis Craftsman Book Company.

Michael Thomas
04-17-2009, 03:33 AM
2009 Craftsman Site License [Download] - $78.50 : Craftsman Book Company Construction Estimating Books and Software, Craftsman's online construction bookstore has over 150 books and programs for professional contractors, plumbers, framers, electricia (http://craftsman-book.com/products/index.php?main_page=cbc_product_software_info&cPath=42&products_id=530)

Markus Keller
04-17-2009, 07:11 AM
I've bought various cost estimator books over the years and given them away. I've never been able to use one and bid a job at a proper price. Other contractor's I gave the books to also couldn't make them work. Maybe myself and all the guys I know are just dense (definite possibility)
Since I've spent years bidding jobs I can figure most costs out from experience or a phone call. However, the following may help you.
Usually twice a year, spring/fall, I send out bid sheets for major trades to various contractors that I know. If there are major market fluctuations (copper a couple years ago) I'll send another one out to get updated pricing.
The bid sheet is one page of typical rehab line items that a contractor would do. I fax or email, they fax. email back, or meet for lunch. Upon delivery I write them a check for $75.00
For them it's a tank of gas? and a reason to get a handle on their pricing for themselves. Some guys have actually thanked me for the idea, others won't take the check. Some want a gift cert instead.
For me it's good street pricing. It's a win/win
I do a lot of building assessments and have to include rehab costs to substantiate whether the project is feasible or not. I need realistic street level numbers.
I usually send out 3 at a time. That way the cost of 3 plus business expenses is essentially covered by the revenue of one HI.
Hope this helps someone, Markus

Markus Keller
04-17-2009, 08:56 PM
Just came across this site tonight. Might be helpful to some.
Remodeling Magazine: Home remodeling, kitchen and bath design, renovation, and building products for the professional remodeler (http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2008/costvsvalue/national.aspx)