PDA

View Full Version : Lintel

Jeff Eastman
05-29-2007, 05:43 AM

Scott Patterson
05-29-2007, 06:41 AM
You tear out the section of wall around the lintel, support the part above, replace the lintel and the brick. It is not an easy process, you need a skilled brick mason. Those in the picture do not look like the really need to be replaced, IMO.

Richard Rushing
05-29-2007, 06:44 AM
I agree that they do not look like replacement is needed.

Clean/ brush/ prime and paint.

Rich

Michael Thomas
05-29-2007, 07:00 AM
If oxide jacking has not damaged adjacent masonry to the point where it must be replaced, and the lintel is still functioning structurally, wire brush loose scale and paint with corrosion resistant paint and primer. If weeps or other drainage above the lintel are plugged with caulk, remove it. If the lintel has to be replaced, use SS or carbon-fiber replacements, or just use steel, detail properly, and it will last another 50 years. Watch carefully for evidence of jacking – I once inspected a third floor unit in a three story structural brick 1920s condo. At the exterior there was step cracking up from the third floor lintels at the corners of the building, but nothing unusual for this sort of structure in Chicago. At the interior there was ¼” separation of the base from the shoe at an exterior wall. Shined a flashlight done there, and I was looking at the interior of the brick wall - the rusting lintels were jacking the exterior walls *out*. The condo association is rebuilding the walls from the second floor level upwards, one section at a time, over four years.... the building covers half a city block, and it's a quarter million dollar job.

Mike Schulz
05-29-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't see weeps?

Jerry Peck
05-29-2007, 05:20 PM
I suspect that is a shelf angle and not a lintel.

If a lintel, it would be more critical, but as a shelf angle, it does not need to be as strong because it is attached to the wall structure along the wall area where the shelf angle is located.

The reason I suspect it is not a lintel is that, although its ends "bear" on that center column, I doubt that narrow brick column in the center would support the bearing of both lintels, if lintels, leaving the other option as them really being shelf angles with limited "end bearing load".