PDA

View Full Version : Identifing Renaissance Stone

Michael Thomas
04-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Has anyone got a foolproof way to distinguish between smooth and press hammered surface Renaissance Stone (Building Stone Products, Inc. (http://www.buildingstoneproducts.com/renaissance/) ) and similarly dressed limestone?

Ted Menelly
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
"Identifying Renaissance Stone"

It more than likely smells like urine because of the open sewerage back then and if you lick it you will more than likely die from the black death as it was prevalent around that era

Other than that I cannot help you

Well, dark and dismal looking and more than likely and a priest hanging around it scaring the demons away.

Rick Hurst
04-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Ted,

I don't think Michael is talking about real "Renaissance" era stone.:D

Ted Menelly
04-20-2009, 02:48 PM
Ted,

I don't think Michael is talking about real "Renaissance" era stone.:D

I kind of got that but it has been a boring day at the desk emailing and paying out money I do not have, you know, fun stuff like that. I do know what he is talking about but I have just not pulled the info yet :p

Jerry Peck
04-20-2009, 03:11 PM
Has anyone got a foolproof way to distinguish between smooth and press hammered surface Renaissance Stone (Building Stone Products, Inc. (http://www.buildingstoneproducts.com/renaissance/) ) and similarly dressed limestone?

Michael,

Not trying to sound facetious or anything but ... ;) ... your question about being able to distinguish between "smooth" and "press hammered", and looking at their information makes me think one is "smooth" and the other is not ... :)

Michael Thomas
04-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Both finishes are visually similar to their limestone counterparts. This morning I was trying to decide if an architectural detail (smooth, in this case) - 4 stores above me and above a window leaking at the interior - was RS or real limestone because a masonry contractor had asked me, so I decided to ask if anyone has any suggestions for distinguishing them.

Jerry Peck
04-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Ah ... between the real stuff and the fake stuff ... I now see says the blind man.

I guess I was having a bad brain day and could not understand what your original question was. I wish I were the hairdresser, as only the hairdresser knows (wait, that's Clairol ... dang) ...

I would suspect that one could tell by drilling a hole into each and seeing how the holes drilled and the powder came out, but you would need to do destructive testing for that. The collected drilling dust could then be analyzed by a lab and the content and make up would probably be discernible then.

Bob Spermo
04-20-2009, 04:16 PM
Is this renaissance stone man made "stone"? I can tell in many instances if it is real or man made because there is no "brick/stone lug" as part of the slab when man made is used. Is there a steel lentil above the window?