PDA

View Full Version : Home inspection ogranizations

Bryan D. Carlson
04-27-2009, 10:37 AM
I have been doing much research as to which organizations to join. There seam to be too many choices, ASHI, NSHI, NACHI, AHIT, etc.. Some of the real estate pro's I have contacted say they won't deal with an inspector unless he (or she) is an ASHI certified inspector. I have also looked at many inspectors websites, most appear to belong to multiple organizations. Is one better than another, or should I just pick a few and commit?

Matt Fellman
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Welcome to the board... this question is often the catalyst for a 500 post pissing match between diehard members of each group. So, be prepared.

Personally, in the 10 years I've been at this I've never had anyone ask me if or which association I belong to. So, I don't think it's going to make or break your business. I'm sure others will disagree.

I think the best thing you can do is find a local chapter of an association that you seem to 'gel' with. You can really learn a lot from hanging out with a group of guys in your local area.

It's also worth mentioning that this board is by far the best educational tool that I have. Don't be afraid to ask questions or jump into discussions.

Rick Hurst
04-27-2009, 11:34 AM
Please research the board achive for thoughts on this subject. As Matt mentioned this board will be bombarded with die hard members bashing one organization or group.

Erby Crofutt
04-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Dang it, Rick. I've had that picture for two weeks waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it.

Here it is and you beat me to it!

Gunnar Alquist
04-27-2009, 02:13 PM
I have been doing much research as to which organizations to join. There seam to be too many choices, ASHI, NSHI, NACHI, AHIT, etc.. Some of the real estate pro's I have contacted say they won't deal with an inspector unless he (or she) is an ASHI certified inspector. I have also looked at many inspectors websites, most appear to belong to multiple organizations. Is one better than another, or should I just pick a few and commit?

Bryan,

Yes, some agents and/or offices do demand a membership. Like Matt said, find a (or the) local chapter and attend their meetings and join the association that best fits your needs. You will get good contacts in the industry and have local people to call when you have questions. The information that I get from my local meetings are extremely helpful and I get to sit around and chit-chat once a month with others having the same problems as me.

Statewide associations tend to deal with laws and conditions typically found in that state. National associations require the individual to sift through to find the relevant information.

Ted Menelly
04-27-2009, 05:34 PM
What......There are Home Inspection Associations.. When did they come about ?

Ted Menelly
04-27-2009, 05:44 PM
Well, I'll admit it. I know of one office or should I say multiple offices (all the same name) that only hands out a referral sheet of the local association or should I say state association. When you join and someday when they update their list, you are on the bottom of scores of inspectors (yeah, you might get called after they call the other 20.)

Anyways, that is one reason why I have not joined as of yet. I hate being told that "You must join this group to get referred). Sorry....My backside "I must join this association" That particular Realtor group of stores has never given me a referral in 5 years now in Texas. Not one of their agents from one of those offices. I have been an inspector in more combined years than most of their inspectors in that association. No not combined as in all of them. My combined years from Port time to full time.

Absolute bull

Sorry, just my opinion again.

Richard Stanley
04-28-2009, 04:21 AM
Ted, You must pay extra 'attention' when inspecting a property with that 'particular' sign in the yard!:D

Eric Barker
05-03-2009, 06:00 PM
Bryan,

Give consideration to what chapters are in your area. Go to some of their meetings and try to get a feel for the caliber of the members and the education that they provide. Associating yourself with a good national organization will improve your continuing ed. No way would I have my current level of knowledge if I did not have ties to a national H.I. organization and its chapters.

Kevin Luce
05-03-2009, 07:29 PM
I personally got tired of trying to find good CE classes that HI organizations give. So I went with the cheapest and fasted way of getting CE credits, than spend the time and money on classes on which I will learn a lot.

Don Belmont
05-04-2009, 07:14 AM
You need to look at this from a business, not a religious, point of view.

The question I might ask is whether you want your business being run by the real estate agents in your area. I can say from my own practice that marketing direct to consumers is a better way to go if you want to maintain your independence. Otherwise, the real estate folks will have a hold on you and sooner or later they will expect their pound of flesh.

If you feel you have to choose one organization then pick the one that offers you the most as an inspector and as a business man. Don't fall for the pseudo-religious nonsense that some partisans push for or against any organization. You can detect this sort of bias if statements include any variation of ""you're only a real home inspector if you belong is XXXHI". I can tell you that the consumer DOES NOT CARE which organization is the oldest or the largest.

Ask yourself what CE do they make available free or cheap? CE is most important and controlling costs is also a big thing getting started. And does it meet your needs in terms of level? How active is their message board (a super source for help when you inevitably get stumped on something). What sort of money do they want compared to the benefit returned? And if you decide to market through real estate follks ( a bad idea IMO but it is your business) then the question of whether they are pre-sold on one organization is valid. Of course you might research why they prefer one organization over the other?

For truth in advertising I answered those question for myself and have never regretted the choice. I belong to the Independent Home Inspectors of North America IHINA.ORG (http://ihina.org) as I find that most useful in my marketing (and consistent with my business practice). I choose NACHI (Now INterNACHI) Home Inspector - InterNACHI: home inspection/inspector (http://www.nachi.org) as best meeting my business needs as an inspector in the other areas of concern such as CE and support from other inspectors.

James Bohac
05-06-2009, 01:24 PM
There will always be a select group of Realtors who only use the people affiliated with certain groups or associations. I find that the majority who refer me, do so because of the product I produce for " my " clients. Not because I belong to any certain organization.

Realtors will come and go and it doesn't take long to figure out who you really need to market to.

I have belonged to several associations in the past. Sometime I feel I just have to give my money away to someone. They can offer a false sense of credibility to the public, but, they can also provide a good network of CE and other info valuable to our industry.

Just my 2 cents

K Robertson
05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Well, I'll admit it. I know of one office or should I say multiple offices (all the same name) that only hands out a referral sheet of the local association or should I say state association. When you join and someday when they update their list, you are on the bottom of scores of inspectors (yeah, you might get called after they call the other 20.)

Anyways, that is one reason why I have not joined as of yet. I hate being told that "You must join this group to get referred). Sorry....My backside "I must join this association" That particular Realtor group of stores has never given me a referral in 5 years now in Texas. Not one of their agents from one of those offices. I have been an inspector in more combined years than most of their inspectors in that association. No not combined as in all of them. My combined years from Port time to full time.

Absolute bull

Hey Ted, is that the same "store" as the one that says you MUST advertise with them to get their business? I get less than 5% of my business from Realtor Referral, so ... yea, "my backside" MUST do anything. I'm with you.

Bryan D. Carlson
05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
Greetings to All,
Thanks for the advice, it has definitely helped me. I attended a local ASHI chapter meeting and the group seemed very helpful, one guy is even letting me ride along on an inspection. Does anyone know if there is a local interNACHi chapter in northern Utah?
Bryan

Gunnar Alquist
05-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Greetings to All,
Thanks for the advice, it has definitely helped me. I attended a local ASHI chapter meeting and the group seemed very helpful, one guy is even letting me ride along on an inspection. Does anyone know if there is a local interNACHi chapter in northern Utah?
Bryan

Oh, no... Now you've done it Bryan. Now comes the NACHI landslide. I can hardly wait. Let's see... Will it be 200 or 400 posts? Bets, anyone?

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Oh, no... Now you've done it Bryan. Now comes the NACHI landslide. I can hardly wait. Let's see... Will it be 200 or 400 posts? Bets, anyone?

ALL OF THE ASSOCIATIONS ARE GUILTY OF PROMOTING THEMSELVES AND ARE EQUAL OPPORTRUNITY BASHERS!!!

As to the posters question, do your own research, Join what ever one you feel most comfortabble with. It's a personal choice.
Kinda like should I buy a Chevy or Ford, go to Burger King, Wendys, or Mc D!

Try them all, keep an open mind, then make a choice based on your own personal experience.

Now, the question remains, who's going to launch the first assult!! Maybe we should have a betting pool??

Steven Meyer
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM

Absolute bull

Honest opinion!! Any realtor who preferrs/promotes one association membership over another is just to lazy to scout around for the BEST inspector, no matter what association he belongs to, nor if he belongs to none!! Belonging to an organization, is no gurantee of the ability of the inspector.

Join local business organizations, net work with those who can get your name "out", and PROMOTE yourself!! As a newcommer, that should be you first priority. The rest can come latter.

Ken Bates
05-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Potential clients ask me several questions; e.g. how long have you been inspecting, etc., but not one has ever asked if I am a member of this, that and the other, they have only asked if I am a member of ASHI.

Citizens of the Boston area rejected Nixon and the Bush family, etc. They seek out ASHI members because they know they are the only ones who are tested. I passed the nachi online exam with a score of 98 in 30 minutes after drinking several margaritas.

Ted Menelly
05-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Potential clients ask me several questions; e.g. how long have you been inspecting, etc., but not one has ever asked if I am a member of this, that and the other, they have only asked if I am a member of ASHI.

Citizens of the Boston area rejected Nixon and the Bush family, etc. They seek out ASHI members because they know they are the only ones who are tested. I passed the nachi online exam with a score of 98 in 30 minutes after drinking several margaritas.

Then I guess those realtors just absolutely know nothing what so ever about home inspectors. How can they have such a blanket thought about home inspectors or associations.

ASHI being the only home inspectors that are tested? My God man....And you don't set them straight.Can there really be such a mass ignorance. As far as ASHI having their inspectors tested. What might you be referring to. The NHIE. My God man. That is no different than the NACHI tests or the Texas Real Estate Commissions test or the course tests from Inspection Training Associates, or Inspection depot or anything else. They are all the same questions all based on the same items to be inspected. Or any of the tests from continuing education courses that one might be tested on over the decades. By the way. I have belonged to a couple associations. I have been tested by all. I have been tested by a few courses for home inspector schools and there final exams and state exams and the NHIE and absolute countless continuing ed courses and tests for decades. There is absolutely no difference in any of them.....Period.

I am not knocking or sticking up for any association but seriously, when a Realtor says that to you, be polite as possible, explain the real world situation and set them straight. It sounds like all those realtors have been sold a false bill of goods and just don't know any beter but I am quite sure you do.

Richard Stanley
05-12-2009, 08:01 AM
'mass ignorance'

Key words.

And probably the rest of New England.

Kevin Luce
05-12-2009, 10:08 AM
They seek out ASHI members because they know they are the only ones who are tested.
The statement that every ASHI member is tested is incorrect. I can become a "member" by filling out a form and sending them the required fee. There is at least one home inspector around here that informs callers that he has been a member of ASHI for years; and he is correct, he has been a member of ASHI for years. He has only been an associate member but he is correct by saying he is a member. He pays his due and ASHI doesn't require anything more from him.

For the few around here that know about ASHI, a % of them don't know there is an associate member and a Certified member. Even you made the mistake by using the word "member" only.

Steven Meyer
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM

If it takes several margaritas for you to pass a test, then how many does it tske you to do a decent inspection??

And, just what does the realtor REALLY know about ASHI? Only the sales, snow job ASHI has put out. NO association is a gurantee of the ability of the member. You don't need to look any further than the average real estate salesperson. Any bored housewife and unemployable dolt can become one. It is probably the easiest, no experience required business to get into. All that is required is a spiffy car, fake smile, and no brains.
Suggest that industry clean its self up first. When their house is in order, then they may have some creditable.

They have neither the brains, nor the information and ability to recommend any HI association. They are just order takers and in many cases are unable to even fill out their paper work correctly!

Maybe I'll begin to ask the realtor which association they belong to, and how many glasses of wine it took for them to pass their test.

Realtors are probably the most poorly trained profession around, Doubt many of them could pass a GED test!

They, by and large, are the weak link in any real estate transaction.

Steven Meyer
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
What......There are Home Inspection Associations.. When did they come about ?

IT'S NOT WHEN, IT'S WHY!!!

Steven Meyer
05-12-2009, 10:41 AM
they have only asked if I am a member of ASHI.

They seek out ASHI members because they know they are the only ones who are tested.

I passed the nachi online exam with a score of 98 in 30 minutes after drinking several margaritas.

THE FIRST STONE HAS BEEN THROWN LET THE FUN BEGIN!!!

Dan Harris
05-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Boy oh boy Stevie, you sure are working hard to get friends on this site.

Lets see, first you financially support , and promote a person that slandered, and name called the owner of this site,and tried to hijack his web site.

Then you support and promote that same person that takes $s from his members to slander, name call, and sue Home Inspectors that are members other HI orgs. that won't pay him money to join his club.

Then you name call/ slander family members, of several members here.
. Are you aware there are several respected members on this site that are either married to, or have family members that sell real estate.

And, just what does the realtor REALLY know about ASHI? Any bored housewife and unemployable dolt can become one. It is probably the easiest, no experience required business to get into.

They have neither the brains, nor the information and ability to recommend any HI association. They are just order takers and in many cases are unable to even fill out their paper work correctly!

Realtors are probably the most poorly trained profession around, Doubt many of them could pass a GED test!

Scott Patterson
05-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Well, I have stayed out of this but......

Just one question for those that do not like ASHI;

Why is it that so many consumer advocates, news media and publications across the country recommend using an ASHI inspector?

Seems like if ASHI is not doing anything they are at least spending money on PR and promoting the use of their members nationwide. That is one major reason that I belong to such an organization. Right or wrong it works and you don't see any other home inspector organizations doing it!

Chuck Weaver
05-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Bryan
What group you decide to belong should offer continuing education certified by you licensing agench at a reasonable cost as a part of being a member along with associating with other HIs. Good luck

Don Belmont
05-13-2009, 03:34 PM

Why is it that so many consumer advocates, news media and publications across the country recommend using an ASHI inspector?

Seems like if ASHI is not doing anything they are at least spending money on PR and promoting the use of their members nationwide. That is one major reason that I belong to such an organization. Right or wrong it works and you don't see any other home inspector organizations doing it!

In a few words. They have promoted the idea that their members are partners with the real estate agents. From a marketing point of view a good move (Sort of like making sure you hang out your Tits if your looking to make money from sailors on shore leave). ASsHI has made great effort to convince (through such creative marketing mechanisms as kickbacks) that the members of their organization share the high moral character and goals of the used house sales people. I understand the belief among those used house sale people is that ASsHI members can be trusted not to let their inspection or report disturb the deal. There's a line in their doorhanger to that effect but I can't find my copy right now.

Now I have seen this in action on a personal level. One reason I became a home inspector (and a member of IHINA and InterNACHI) was a home inspection done by a locally respected (by the agent anyway) ASsHI member for a friend. According to the report there was 12 inches of fiberglas insulation in the attic. The same as was said on the disclosure. (Funny thing there was no access to the attic area until I built it). And there was actually 6 inches not 12. In a word the ASsHI inspector did what ASsHI inspectors do to make used house people happy. He lied.

As an inspector I've had agents (who didn't know me) actually expect me to show them my report first. One even asked me not to explain that the roof was gone because it wasn't leaking that day (hadn't rained for a week) Justified with the line that their ASHI inspector always does that. I do so enjoy the look on their face when they find out I'm that bastard they heard horror stories about. My clients love it as well because I report those attempts in my inspection report.

How's that for a volley. I so love flame wars.

Scott Patterson
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM
In a few words. They have promoted the idea that their members are partners with the real estate agents. From a marketing point of view a good move (Sort of like making sure you hang out your Tits if your looking to make money from sailors on shore leave). ASsHI has made great effort to convince (through such creative marketing mechanisms as kickbacks) that the members of their organization share the high moral character and goals of the used house sales people. I understand the belief among those used house sale people is that ASsHI members can be trusted not to let their inspection or report disturb the deal. There's a line in their doorhanger to that effect but I can't find my copy right now.

Now I have seen this in action on a personal level. One reason I became a home inspector (and a member of IHINA and InterNACHI) was a home inspection done by a locally respected (by the agent anyway) ASsHI member for a friend. According to the report there was 12 inches of fiberglas insulation in the attic. The same as was said on the disclosure. (Funny thing there was no access to the attic area until I built it). And there was actually 6 inches not 12. In a word the ASsHI inspector did what ASsHI inspectors do to make used house people happy. He lied.

As an inspector I've had agents (who didn't know me) actually expect me to show them my report first. One even asked me not to explain that the roof was gone because it wasn't leaking that day (hadn't rained for a week) Justified with the line that their ASHI inspector always does that. I do so enjoy the look on their face when they find out I'm that bastard they heard horror stories about. My clients love it as well because I report those attempts in my inspection report.

Don, that is a pretty broad brush stroke.. Many members of IHINA do not follow his organizations rules either, they market heavily to agents when they say they won't. It happens in every organization.

So, what is going on in New Hampshire with licensing? I have a friend who is moving that direction and he has a license in Tennessee. Just curious if you have any insight as to when the will kick their license program off??

Ted Menelly
05-13-2009, 05:46 PM

Now I have seen this in action on a personal level. One reason I became a home inspector (and a member of IHINA and InterNACHI) was a home inspection done by a locally respected (by the agent anyway) ASsHI member for a friend. According to the report there was 12 inches of fiberglass insulation in the attic. The same as was said on the disclosure. (Funny thing there was no access to the attic area until I built it). And there was actually 6 inches not 12. In a word the ASsHI inspector did what ASsHI inspectors do to make used house people happy. He lied.

Just so you have the full realization of the facts, I am not a member of ASHI but I will stick up for a few I know. They do not mess around with the agents favors and all that crap. Do some, maybe. Do most, I am positive that that is a big serious no.

It does not matter what organizations out there that anyone belongs to. It is the individual that makes an inspector.

Some are lying slugs and snick their nose anywhere it can get brown and most don't. Some may kiss up to everyone but still do a good, fair, honest and professional job. They kiss up to get the work and feed their family but still conduct themselves as a professional doing their inspections.

I say this all the time and always get heat for it. When I inspect, I am inspecting for absolutely no one. All my client do is give me an address of a home they wish to buy a report from me for the inspection I performed. I work for me and no one else. I sell my findings to a client that wishes to possibly buy that particular home. Keep that in mind in the future. Once you get into the frame of mind that you are working for someone else then you have a greater chance of being compromised in your profession. You are not there to please anyone but yourself in the job you are doing. You are there to do the best inspection job you can. That in itself will please your client. I lose Realtors all the time because I make it absolutely clear to all that refer me that what I find is what I write. If the Realtors do not like it, tough. Find another one to get referrals from.

Steven Meyer
05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
DANNY HARRIS

Didn't think it would take you to long to chime in, with your usual bitter dribble!

I could give a fig about making friends.

Truth of the matter that in most all sales positions, 10% of the sales force makes 90% of the money! Holds quite true in the RE business. Live with it!

Fact is, in some states, it is easier to get a RE license than a HI license, a plumbing, electrical, contractor,appraiser,license.

I have bought and sold many houses over the years, and it never ceases to amaze me the incompewtence of many agents (Mine excluted, she's fantastic), use her ecxclusive, but other agents we have had to deal with, you just roll your eyes>

The worse one was in your state, the state of license all to ensure a professional, competent person. Bottom line, I won the law suite. Think, now she is back home baking cookies for the kids, to this day, I wonder how good she is at that.

As to HI orgs, you have your flavor, I have mine. Get over that "other" org. doesn't want you around anymore, time to move on Danny Boy!

Have a nice day, elsewhere!

You can crawl back under your rock now.

Steven Meyer
05-13-2009, 06:04 PM

Are they promoting their members, or are they legastating the exclusive use of their members? Their "branding" seems to me more a political action, their intrusion into state licensing just offends me. Promote your members, stay the hell out of the state capitals!

ASHI is national unionism at its finest!

Dan Harris
05-13-2009, 06:26 PM

Posts bashing ashi inspectors kinda make me chuckle :)
How do you come up with this stuff?

Over the past 8 plus years I've done inspections for 100s of customers that had an inspection by another inspector, unless they hired an ASHI inspector from the ASHI site, less than 5% remember who the inspector was, let alone what HI org he was a member of.

I'm not sure how anybody can come up with any stats on nickos club members.
Locally most of nickos elete either go out of business in 3 or less years. Most of the few that are fortunate enough to make it past that point either join ashi, or decide to stay away from any HI org.

As far as ASHI inspectors kissing up to realtors, if this something you know for a fact, of is this something some dream up while waiting for the phone to ring, because ASHI inspectors are getting all the work in your area?

Or could it be some are bitter that ASHI inspectors are successful, and dream this crap up while waiting days for the phone to ring, because the worthless instant certs, and empty hype that you got scammed for is not working?

I am also a member of INIHA, I have several realtors that refer me, I don't market to realtors, I do get anywhere from 4-8 calls or emails a month from the public or realtors that state, they saw my name on the ASHI site.
I do know some consumers and realtors google home inspectors, and research HI orgs that the inspector may be a member of, I know for a fact some consumers and realtors make a decision on their own after checking the inspector, and his or her affiliations, posts on public HI sites, and are smarter than some give them credit for :)

Steven Meyer
05-20-2009, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=Scott Patterson;84415]Well, I have stayed out of this but......

Would you care to list any from your above list???
I know of one that is not on it!!
CONSUMER REPORTS!!

Kevin Luce
05-20-2009, 03:45 PM
[quote=Scott Patterson;84415]Well, I have stayed out of this but......

Would you care to list any from your above list???
I know of one that is not on it!!
CONSUMER REPORTS!!
The same reason people started buying Mighty Putty. Say something loud enough, long enough and exaggerate the truth and a % of people will believe.

YouTube - Billy Mays Mighty Putty Commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkuReA-AGa8)

It's also like voting for a president - they both suck so you go with who they think is the better of the two.

In my opinion, no national HI organization can back up the claims they make about their members. What does it mean when I read on ASHI website "They are trained to objectively communicate to you, the home inspection buyer, what the house has to say." Trained by whom? It also reads "ASHI members also know about service" How do they know about service? Where they trained or educated by someone then tested to ensure ASHI can make that statement? I can point out a lot more but it comes down to misleading the general public.

Note: You may have notice that the word "member" is used a lot on the ASHI website, which like I wrote before, only requires a check and filling out some information. So when a home buyer reads ASHI website and ask a home inspector if he is a member, that home inspector can say yes.

Michael Greenwalt
06-02-2009, 04:36 PM
The success of the national associations depend on marketing to inspectors. Some do better than others depending on the level of inspector knowledge they market too.
The success of an inspector depends on the inspectors ability to market his (or her) business. Clearly there can be some assistance from national associations however the inspector that depends on that for survival is doomed to fail.
This is where I think a clear line exists between national associations. First off, I belong to two of the national associations and between the two, I would say the average draw of inspector business from their efforts vary by about 2%, if that. That being said, my ability to market my business has increased multi-fold based on the fact that good business practices have been used. These practices did not depend on a national organization.
Fact: InterNachi has a great marketing drive to new inspectors. The result, very high numbers.
Fact: ASHI and NAHI market better to established inspectors, as a result they get inspectors with a higher level of knowledge, at least initially.
Fact: There are good and bad inspectors in all three. Any inspector who thinks they are a better because they "Belong" to any organization has been severely misled.
Fact: If the survival of your business depends on belonging to an association, you will not succeed in this business. Maybe a year, two, three, who knows but you will eventually fail.

The biggest difference I note in the associations is this:
a. With ASHI and NAHI, I expect the level of knowledge to become a Certified inspector is a great motivational tool for newer inspectors to get education, training, and seek the help and guidance of more seasoned veterans. Walking around as a "candidate" or "Associate" over your head can be a bit of a deterrent at least personally even if not always professionally. We all want to do better, it makes our ego's feel good.
b. With InterNachi, becoming a Certified inspector straight off may tend to lead a lesser seasoned or trained inspector to believe they are better than they are. Lesson the desire to gain knowledge at an appreciable rate thru training and education thereby reducing the overall knowledge level of inspectors in that association. InterNachi has come to realize this to a degree which is a partial reason for the CMI but still the primary reason behind the "CMI" logo that their inspectors sought after realizing there really was no real marketable difference between an inspector that had reached a higher level, and the beginner that took the online course and the subsequent InterNachi exam.

The bottom line is, your organization has to be something you can be proud to be a part of. As well, it has to be a tool for your progression in understanding the business and the trade through education and mentorship. If you feel that the one you belong to meets this criteria, then that is the organization for you. If your not sure or your still searching, go with the one that is the absolute toughest at first, and carries the most pride in the end. It will make you a better inspector. Which one depends on you and your level of expectations.

As for one national association, I am all for it. Until we reach that goal, we will never reach our full potential as a trade organization. Competition in the free market is good, competition amongst ourselves is not.

Louie Flores
05-31-2010, 02:49 PM

Better PR.

Jim Luttrall
05-31-2010, 02:54 PM
I don't belong to any national organization and never have but I have to agree with Scott. From everything I have heard, ASHI is the only organization that actually brings their members business and the only one I might consider being a member of without being ashamed of some of the practices.
Again, just my understanding and experience, you mileage will vary.

Trent Tarter
05-31-2010, 03:44 PM
I was naive to the business when I first started out. I thought that becoming a member of an association would help make me look more qualified as a beginning inspector. The only problem was all of the credible associations have real requirements to become a member, such as having inspected 250 homes and passing the NHIE. So I became a member of NACHI now "INACHI". At the time I chose NACHI because they were the easiest one to join and had very little requirements to become a "Certified Home Inspector" what a joke. For many years I have not belonged to any association. I have just recently joined ASHI and will be considered a full member once they get all my info. processed and I pass their Standards of Practice quiz.

In my opinion ASHI is the most recognized and respected in the industry as a whole. I will try them out for a year or two to see if it's a benefit to my business.

Scott Patterson
05-31-2010, 05:24 PM
I was naive to the business when I first started out. I thought that becoming a member of an association would help make me look more qualified as a beginning inspector. The only problem was all of the credible associations have real requirements to become a member, such as having inspected 250 homes and passing the NHIE. So I became a member of NACHI now "INACHI". At the time I chose NACHI because they were the easiest one to join and had very little requirements to become a "Certified Home Inspector" what a joke. For many years I have not belonged to any association. I have just recently joined ASHI and will be considered a full member once they get all my info. processed and I pass their Standards of Practice quiz.

In my opinion ASHI is the most recognized and respected in the industry as a whole. I will try them out for a year or two to see if it's a benefit to my business.

Good for you Trent! I have a good friend up your way, Hugh Kelso who is also an active ASHI member. If I can ever be of help let me know.

Raymond Wand
05-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Over the years membership in associations seem to be irrelevant to my business. As others have opined I am never asked which if any associations I belong to.

I am also disappointed in the restrictive nature of CEU's being limited to what some committee thinks is important and worth.

Michael Greenwalt
05-31-2010, 08:36 PM
As a test this past year I tracked which organizaton actually put more business $$$ in my pocket Of the two NAHI came in first, ASHI came in second.
I tracked which organization provided more help at the inspector level when I needed it. Of the two, NAHI came in first, ASHI came in second.
I tracked which organization providedCEU's at the most reasonable price. Of the two, NAHI came in first, ASHI came in second.

Of the two, If I was to drop one it would be ASHI, unfortunately they just aren't as competitive on my business needs. True they spend a lot of our member money lobbying and making themelves look good but in the end, one organization made me more money and took efforts to make me a better inspector at a more compitetive price. To that end, NAHI stood out.

I won't evn mention the inter=**** group, simply put a poor organization; albiet with good inspectors as members.

Michael Greenwalt
05-31-2010, 08:37 PM
donning flak jacket

Dan Harris
05-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I won't evn mention the inter=**** group, simply put a poor organization; albiet with good inspectors as members.

The good ones, that make it past one year, from that org. are slowly figuring out that they can get proper answers to any question they have, here for FREE with out all the BS, and with out promoting/supporting the name calling of, and lying about other inspectors :)

Scott Patterson
06-01-2010, 07:18 AM
donning flak jacket

No need for that!

It all depends on the area you are in. With the various HI associations it is not the National relationship that makes the difference it is the local chapters. The local chapters are the ones that provide most of the education and the marketing for the area. The National HQ of the association does little to nothing in the way of national or area specific marketing, it is just too expensive.

When I lived in MS, I might have been lucky to get 1-2 jobs a year that I could track back to ASHI. Now that I'm in the Nashville area I can say that I average about 1-2 inspections a month that I can track back to the ASHI site.

I hope that NAHI can hang on and get some growth in their numbers. They have a few pockets that they are still strong in, I think they are also pretty strong in KY.

Michael Greenwalt
06-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Thanks,
You are absolutely correct, regions make a big difference. Any new inspector needs to do thier homework and make a few well placed calls.

NAHI membership has grown greatly, the organization I am proud to say is strong and doing well. It is a great organization; as is ASHI.

New inspectors remember, the decision should be a business one, not a personal one. Believe nothing you hear, half of what you see and choose wisely. Put on your business hat for this one.

Joseph P. Hagarty
06-01-2010, 07:28 PM
Home Inspector 10 years going on 11 years

NACHI only..... :)

International Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) (http://www.nachi.org)

What is the question?

Jack Feldmann
06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
"Home Inspector 10 years going on 11 years"

Uhhhhh, what else would it be? 10 going on 15? 10 going on 1.5 dog years??
:-)

Louie Flores
06-02-2010, 03:01 PM
If you have all this time to gripe witch organization is better and which one sucks It means one thing you have to much time on your hands, Time which would be better spent marketing your Biz or furthering your education....

Erby Crofutt
06-03-2010, 02:08 AM
I think they are also pretty strong in KY.

TEN MEMBERS in Kentucky. NOT very strong to me.

=

Scott Patterson
06-03-2010, 06:45 AM
TEN MEMBERS in Kentucky. NOT very strong to me.

=

Well, ya got a point! I wonder which state have the most?

Michael Chambers
06-03-2010, 11:35 PM
As I think has already been mentioned, a lot depends on the perception and strength of an organization in your particular local area. Here in St. Louis, the R/E agents hand their clients a list of inspectors from the local ASHI chapter website, and tell them to pick one from that list. Some agents insist the inspector the client chooses has to be ASHI certified. I don't think the R/E agents in this area even know the other organizations exist.

David Christopher
06-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Here in NE Ohio, HH is the BIG real estate company. If you are not ASHI, you will not get inspections from them (at least with the three or four offices I've dealt with). You may get an occasional job from a rogue client who doesn't trust their agent's recommendations, but those are far and few between. I personally belong to both ASHI and InterNACHI. I also have joined Ohio ASHI which is constantly offering training seminars throughout the state. They've even teamed up with the local NAHI folks to help further the professionalism of our trade. Since Ohio does not yet have licensing requirements for HI's, the requirements for being a member of a professional organization is important, IMO.

Bob Barnett
07-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I was going to quote someone but decided i don't want to get into a Mine is bigger than yours pissing match. But I belong to NAHI and have taken their test to become certified by them.
Lets also look at the company that really certifies ASHI, not ashi. They even state they are no part of the NHIE. So really you ARE NOT ashi CERTIFIED! So get off the crap talk.
Oh and yes There is a certain company who has a wheel on a paper that the client signs stating they recommend ashi people only. What a load of Bull!
I wonder how much they are paying for this advertizing?:rolleyes:

Scott Patterson
07-17-2010, 05:16 PM
I was going to quote someone but decided i don't want to get into a Mine is bigger than yours pissing match. But I belong to NAHI and have taken their test to become certified by them.
Lets also look at the company that really certifies ASHI, not ashi. They even state they are no part of the NHIE. So really you ARE NOT ashi CERTIFIED! So get off the crap talk.
Oh and yes There is a certain company who has a wheel on a paper that the client signs stating they recommend ashi people only. What a load of Bull!
I wonder how much they are paying for this advertizing?:rolleyes:

Hi Bob,

Actually ASHI is certifying their members that meet the requirements for certification. ASHI's process of certifying their members has been approved by NCCA which evaluates certification programs.

The NHIE is the exam that is used by ASHI for this process. Just passing the NHIE does not provide any certification on it's own. The NHIE is owned and administered by The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors, better known as EBPHI.

Just trying to keep it all straight.

Ted Menelly
07-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Hi Bob,

Actually ASHI is certifying their members that meet the requirements for certification. ASHI's process of certifying their members has been approved by NCCA which evaluates certification programs.

The NHIE is the exam that is used by ASHI for this process. Just passing the NHIE does not provide any certification on it's own. The NHIE is owned and administered by The Examination Board of Professional Home Inspectors, better known as EBPHI.

Just trying to keep it all straight.

NHIE....I took that one as well.

Don't know if there is any I have not taken.

Jack Feldmann
07-18-2010, 04:58 PM
You should probably check your information source - you have it almost completely wrong.

Bob Knauff
07-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Bryan, some good advice has been offered so far. Allow me to add my personal observation regarding your original question, "Is one [home inspection organization]better than another...".

What happens to you and your business will happen in your local area. Now that seems like an obvious no-brainer statement but it is an important paradigm to understand and work with.

Perhaps the National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI) (http://www.NAHI.org) has a large presence in your area or one of the others are dominant. No matter. What is of paramount importance is the quality of the local group of inspectors that do meet there, how they interact with each other and with new guys and, most importantly, how you personally feel about them and their group on all the different levels. If you have personality clashes with some of them or don't like their educational offerings (if any) you will not attend meetings and that is counter-productive. Perhaps they don't have meetings often enough to meet your needs? Not good either. After you have attended a couple of meetings all this will become abundantly clear.

You are to be commended for exploring association opportunities but forget about joining one or the other because of some "connection", or how big they may be and so on, in an attempt to advance your business (unless you are in an area where it is demanded that you belong to one or another or you won't get work. That problems exists in more than one part of the country it's sad to say).

Join a group because an inspector who does not belong to a local group is seriously handicapping themselves. They miss out on the educational opportunities as well as the camaraderie. Sometimes it's just chicken soup for the soul to go to a meeting and meet and talk with others who are struggling the same as you may be at the time!

If you have 2 or 25 organizations in your area, I suggest attending several meetings at each. Find the one that best fits YOUR needs and wants and feelings in regard to quality of educational opportunities as well as how you feel you may get along with the members on a personal level. When you find that personal fit you will enjoy the meetings and the people attending them. It will be a fun experience that will entice you to go to them regularly.

After that exercise, factor in what the organization you are considering can do for you and your business on a national level, if anything.

Good luck!

Alan C Grubb
07-20-2010, 05:37 AM
I have been doing much research as to which organizations to join. There seam to be too many choices, ASHI, NSHI, NACHI, AHIT, etc.. Some of the real estate pro's I have contacted say they won't deal with an inspector unless he (or she) is an ASHI certified inspector. I have also looked at many inspectors websites, most appear to belong to multiple organizations. Is one better than another, or should I just pick a few and commit

In your research, you may have noticed that there are all kind of requirements that must be met. Unfortunately, because of this many good people, as well as some of the bad, are excluded from these organizations. I have been builder/remodeler for over twenty-five years but because I have not been an inspector long enough, I am not "qualified” to belong to certain organizations. With that said, I agree with the comments about the local organizations. The organizations I am associated with help their members with education and other everyday issues that arise in the inspection business. With these associations, I have developed professional friendships that give me an outlet for advice and help when needed. In Maryland, all home inspectors have to be licensed. So the local Maryland Association of Home Inspectors is open to all those inspectors and I must say the members there (who may belong to a national organization as well) are very helpful to each other. So go local first and if you can, try a national one that will educate and help you succeed.