PDA

View Full Version : crack driveway/house

dan orourke
05-30-2007, 09:01 AM

Jim Luttrall
05-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Looks like the stone is being supported on a portion of the drive which should be a separate free-floating pour. I think the cracks have likely been created when the drive moved independently (as it should). They should not have supported the stone work on the drive but on the house.
No SE in my opinion, just fix it.

Richard Rushing
05-30-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree with the no SE.

Calling for an SE on that one would be like calling for a brain surgeon to cut out an in-grown toe nail.

RR

Michael Thomas
05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Hey, for those of us who frequently have our feet in out mouths....

James Duffin
05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
That concrete under the wall looks like it is still a bit green (damp). Could a repair have been made it that area recently?

Jerry Peck
05-30-2007, 03:09 PM
Looks like the stone is being supported on a portion of the drive which should be a separate free-floating pour. I think the cracks have likely been created when the drive moved independently (as it should). They should not have supported the stone work on the drive but on the house.
No SE in my opinion, just fix it.

Yep, and 'fixing it' means cutting out the drive curb (or whatever that is) and constructing a proper footing/ledge for the masonry veneer (stone veneer is still masonry veneer).

However, what if the masonry veneer is not really masonry veneer as we typically think of it, what if that masonry veneer is fully adhered veneer, where the veneer is adhered to the wall?

In that case, the stone is not setting on the drive, but movement of the drive may have 'taken the stone with it', either through better adhesion of the mortar to the stone and the drive than to the wall, or, the drive could have 'kicked up', shearing the stone from the wall.

Did you tap on it to see if it was hollow, loose, etc.?

Robert Schenck
06-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Dan, ... No worries, I've already made repairs to it (in cyber space anyway). If it were my house, I would have done it this way, .... as shown in the redone picture. Now, knowing Jerry, ... he'll find "something" wrong with my repairs - lol. No disrespect intended, Jerry. :)

Jerry Peck
06-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Interesting choice of materials for that repair.

One material does not cast a shadow while one material acts like a prism and redirects the angle of the shadow. :D

Bruce Breedlove
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
And, like wallpaper, it has a repeating pattern.

(Good job, Robert.)

Richard Rushing
06-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd like to send my wife's ass to Cyber construction so that someone could fix her-up... geeze.

Freaking flashes are whoopin my azz.

Rich

Thom Walker
06-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Here's a way to fix it and save some money. Can I be a builder now?:D

wayne soper
06-08-2007, 06:24 PM
See that downspout? Does it drain on the ground right below. If so, thats the cause. Water has undermined the footing causing settlement. Rerout the downspout, seal the crack and monitor for further movement.