PDA

View Full Version : Maximum angle on flue

Matthew Barnicle
05-07-2009, 09:47 AM
flues for gas furnaces and water heaters were not vertical at roof. I guess they were either trying to get clearance from the roof or they didn't have the proper boot/flashing/thimble at the supply house for such a high pitched roof. Is this acceptable and if not, what is the max angle? Seems that a wind blowing in the right direction could blow those gasses back down the flue. Sorry, don't inspect many gas appliances down here.

Jerry Peck
05-07-2009, 10:22 AM
I looked at a couple of installation installation instructions and they state "vertical" and those are not "vertical".

Do you have the manufacturer of the vent? You could send them the photos and have them respond stating that they are acceptable or not.

I'm going to guess that they were also not strapped and supported properly in the attic.

Matthew Barnicle
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks Jerry. You would be right... in fact there was negative slope in the attic and one connection was not secured...so recommended full review of system and repair as needed. We don't want anyone taking a permanent nap.

Jerry Peck
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
Matthew,

When not supported and strapped properly in the attic, that allows the wind to blow the vents around, they may have been installed "vertically" and are not because the wind blew them sideways.

Jim Luttrall
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
That is a very common issue here where gas appliances are common.
Good call.