PDA

View Full Version : Range hood exhaust

Ken Amelin
05-11-2009, 06:50 PM
I was under the belief that a kitchen range (gas or electric) required either a range hood that exhausts directly to the exterior or a recirculating hood that filters grease.

I can't find that requirement anywhere. Can anyone shed some light on the requirement for a range hood? YES or NO?

Thanks

Jerry Peck
05-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I can't find that requirement anywhere. Can anyone shed some light on the requirement for a range hood? YES or NO?

If it is in the installation instructions, yes.
- M1307.1 General. Installation of appliances shall conform to the conditions of their listing and label and the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The manufacturer’s operating and installation instructions shall remain attached to the appliance.

Billy Stephens
05-11-2009, 07:47 PM
If it is in the installation instructions, yes.
- M1307.1 General. Installation of appliances shall conform to the conditions of their listing and label and the manufacturer’s installation instructions. The manufacturer’s operating and installation instructions shall remain attached to the appliance.

That would include less than 1% of Ranges manufactured for Required Venting . ;)

Matt Fellman
05-11-2009, 09:47 PM
This is a great example of why home inspections and building codes are different animals.... Who cares what the building code says? Or, more to the point, who cares what it said when that place was built. The fact is the function of that setup is horrible and there should be an exhaust hood. You don't need a code number to tell you that. Recommend they install a hood and move on.

Jerry Peck
05-12-2009, 08:11 AM
This is a great example of why home inspections and building codes are different animals.... Who cares what the building code says? Or, more to the point, who cares what it said when that place was built. The fact is the function of that setup is horrible and there should be an exhaust hood. You don't need a code number to tell you that. Recommend they install a hood and move on.

Okay, you "recommend they install a hood and move on", and what happens when the house is now depressurized when the exhaust fan is on and air/moisture from outside, the crawl space, the attic is now drawn into the home? :eek:

Your fault or ??? :eek:

You really need to consider the total effects of just "recommend they install a hood and move on" before doing so and moving on.

Michael Thomas
05-12-2009, 09:01 AM
A while back I saw one - sorry, can't find the pic - where they'd used stick on cork tile above the kitchen counter backsplashes and above one of those "recirculating hoods" with its grease filter long since removed.

The area above the hood was saturated with grease, and as I was looking at it, I realized the surface was moving ...

... it was maggots!