PDA

View Full Version : Deck construction

mathew stouffer
05-12-2009, 08:19 PM
I had to have a glass of sweet tea after this inspection. Aside from the multiple pieces of stacked wood, the builder said the hanger attachement was fine, plus is "passed" inspection in Feb when there was 12 feet of snow on the ground.

Billy Stephens
05-12-2009, 08:37 PM
multiple pieces of stacked wood, the builder said the hanger attachement was fine, .
:rolleyes:......:rolleyes:

A.D. Miller
05-13-2009, 03:09 AM
I had to have a glass of sweet tea after this inspection. Aside from the multiple pieces of stacked wood, the builder said the hanger attachement was fine, plus is "passed" inspection in Feb when there was 12 feet of snow on the ground.

MS: It seems that one of our Texas deck contractors has escaped to Utah!:eek:

Jerry Peck
05-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Is it my imagination ... or it that thing already leaning?

Wait, I get it ... IT WAS MADE THAT WAY! :eek:

Did you tell the builder that you would show him where there are a thousand bucks laying around ... then take him up to that deck and point out to the woods and say 'Yes, there are a thousand bucks laying around out there somewhere'.

I bet he bought that too, just like when his worker told him that deck 'was okay'.

mathew stouffer
05-13-2009, 07:56 AM
They had some problems at this place. An addition to the garage was necessary because the house exceeded county height restrictions. The garage entry "header" is span of concrete. It is difficult to see in the photos but it is sagging. Portions of the deck ledger are attached to the area.

Jerry Peck
05-13-2009, 08:21 AM
The garage entry "header" is span of concrete. It is difficult to see in the photos but it is sagging.

Is it really "sagging" or did poor construction practices just allow that during construction of it? My guess would be that poor construction practices did not properly support the beam during concrete pour and the sag happened then - but that is just a guess.

mathew stouffer
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Jerry,
Possible for sure, but I am going with the sag. Thanks for all the help.

Matt Fellman
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
That deck is a great example of something I often talk about.... It sometimes more work to do things wrong than right.

Steve Frederickson
05-13-2009, 05:58 PM
I was thinking the same thing as Jerry when I saw the photos. It's more likely that the form wasn't shored enough and it "sagged" when the concrete was placed. If it deflected (sagged) after it had cured, there would be cracks (more than just normal shrinkage cracks). If there are cracks that aren't visible in the photos, then that's a different story.