PDA

View Full Version : OTR m/w installed too high?

Barney Bienz
05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Does anyone know if there is anything wrong with installing a otr m/w too high? The bottom of the unit is 68" off the floor which means, at 6', I can't even see the turntable without standing on my tippy toes. It would seem to me that it would be an obvious safety issue, what with removing hot dishes with sloshy contents above your head, but all the installation info I have found seems to be focused only on minimum height of unit above the cooking surface.
But then again, maybe they're only marketing to NBA players

Scott Patterson
05-14-2009, 07:26 AM
Does anyone know if there is anything wrong with installing a otr m/w too high? The bottom of the unit is 68" off the floor which means, at 6', I can't even see the turntable without standing on my tippy toes. It would seem to me that it would be an obvious safety issue, what with removing hot dishes with sloshy contents above your head, but all the installation info I have found seems to be focused only on minimum height of unit above the cooking surface.
But then again, maybe they're only marketing to NBA players

Okay, what is an OTR M/W?

Jerry Peck
05-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Okay, what is an OTR M/W?

Okay, it took me a while to figure out his laziness in typing his question as to what it was he was asking, but I think that means OVER THE RANGE MICRO WAVE (jeez, that sure was a lot of extra effort to type).

Y T I, I I C S A S, A W B C B T M I I.

You know what, it DOES save a lot of typing, GREAT IDEA! :rolleyes:

Jim Zborowski
05-15-2009, 08:11 AM
i p p a a c h f h w/o t

( installer probably put at a comfortable height for him witout thinking )

Barney Bienz
05-16-2009, 03:58 PM
ok, I've learned my lesson and have given myself a serious talking to. bad barney, bad, bad barney. I'll slap my nose with a rolled up newspaper next.

Jim Luttrall
05-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Barney, I know of no code issue preventing the installation you describe other than maybe a stretch on accessibility to equipment. But in this case I would just simply note the microwave is too tall to be used easily and safely by average height persons.
As stated many times before, the code is silent on many common sense items.

Jerry Peck
05-16-2009, 05:03 PM
The last part of my post was M I I, which is Manufacturer's Installation Instructions, which are code by reference as the code says to install all appliances in accordance with their listing, labeling and manufacturer's installation instructions.

Barney Bienz
05-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Well, like Ron White says, "you can't fix stupid".

Christopher Gorton
06-26-2009, 07:17 AM
Many over range microwaves have a recirculating fan with a filter, these are usually manufacturer specified as having a maximum height of 30 inches above the cook top.
There should be a recommended installation height available on the brand names website in either case.
It may be something to note that its installed above the recommended height, but it may not be a required height if there is no fan.