PDA

View Full Version : In Floor PB pipe?

Jim Robinson
05-30-2007, 02:11 PM
This looked the same, but I had never seen it for in floor radiant.
It was In Floor Heating Systems brand, marked PB 2110 on the pipe. Does anyone know if this has the same issues as the standard PB pipe?
The picture isn't that great, sorry.

Jim Robinson
05-30-2007, 02:12 PM
forgot the photo

Bruce King
05-30-2007, 02:18 PM
Yes, PB2110 is the problematic pipe.
There is some PB2110M that was not included in the settlement but I am not sure what is different about the M version.

If it has the new crimp rings and metal inserts AND is on well water with no chlorine I do not think it is a major issue but I report it just the same.

Here is a template, change as needed to fit the particular situation:

Polybutylene plastic plumbing supply lines (PB) are installed in this home.
Polybutylene has been used in this area for many years, but has had a higher than normal failure rate, and is no longer being used.
Copper and Brass fittings used in later years have apparently reduced the failure rate but chlorine present in water systems is believed to deteriorate the pipe. This home appears to have the updated fittings.
For further details contact the Consumer Plumbing Recovery center at 1-800-392-7591 or the web at CPRC, Inc. (default page) (http://www.pbpipe.com)
Recommend contacting a licensed plumber that is familiar with PB pipe.

Jerry Peck
05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Anyone out there got the PB One Handbook? :)

Quick, what is the first item listed under "Limitations on PB Use"?

Gunnar Alquist
05-30-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't have one, but I am willing to bet a nickel that it is not allowed for heating systems, closed loop systems (or something of that nature).

Did I win? :cool:

Eric Shuman
05-31-2007, 04:33 PM
Gunnar you are correct.

Thanks to Jerry's sharing of the PB book with me :) I looked it up and the first thing it says about limitations is:

"Do not use in continuously circulating hot water plumbing loops..."

Thanks Jerry!

Eric