PDA

View Full Version : Framing question

mathew stouffer
05-20-2009, 07:19 AM
This is a barn roof with TJI's used as roof "joists". They added additional support but nailed into the chords, which I thought was prohibited. The pics are crappy but please take a look.

Mat

Jerry McCarthy
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
If I where animal I would not want to bed down in that "barn." Bogus beams, but without knowing spans and loads, which besides I'm not a PE therefore I cannot comment, but I'd sure disclaim and recommend bla, bla, bla................

A.D. Miller
05-26-2009, 04:07 AM
This is a barn roof with TJI's used as roof "joists". They added additional support but nailed into the chords, which I thought was prohibited. The pics are crappy but please take a look.

Mat

MS: Nailing into the flanges and/or chords is not prohibited. The "beam" in the photo is certainly questionable and I would need to see the design firm's plan which calls for it.

Ted Menelly
05-26-2009, 05:28 AM
That beam is not carrying much. It appears to be splitting the span of the joists and the joist themselves would not need much more support than themselves. Again, just splitting the load up from end to end. I do not see how the support in the center is supported at the wall. Is it let into the wall. Obviously no support under the end of the beam at the wall. As long as it has proper support at both ends, no big deal what so ever. What could it be supporting with that load split. A snow load.

I just don't see the problem with what it appears to be supporting other than end support up against the building.

I don't need no schtinking design firms plans :p