PDA

View Full Version : EIFS

wayne soper
05-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Nice day today HUH?
Until I got to this NEW house, Not new just camoflaged.
So as far as I can tell. All the trim and soffits were installed prior to the EIFS. Trim is overlapped by finish coat and gaps are everywhere. Light fixtures are sunken into the surface and not on top of and stairstepped cracks are present every where.
The body of the home appears that, as far as the contractor, and I use that word very lightly, said, He said he installed cement board, screening and then the concrete finish. If there was proper mesh, Why the cracking?
He used foam to build up the details and those are the only sections typical of real EIFS system.
I am throwing this at you guys for some more thoughts, as I just want to smack the guy.
This guy installed a new service but decided that the Main panel would be just fine in the side wall of the office in the corner where you can't even hang a picture over it, when there is a perfect spot in the basement just below, Where of course he installed the sub panel. Forgive me Jerry but I can think better calling them that and those:D
Anyway, i think I have vented enough , The G& T is helping

Jerry Peck
05-20-2009, 04:10 PM
as I just want to smack the guy.

Does your area require plans, permits, inspections, etc.?

If so, ask for the plans and the installation instructions for the system he installed.

That ought to smack him upside the head.

wayne soper
05-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes, Yes and yes and Yes I did, and will smack him also.
I asked him if he was certified for EIFS install. He said, HUH! UH; HuH?
Also out of state contractor giving a 2 year warranty.
Yeah sure, And where will he be found in 2 years.
Nowhere!
Oh well, it's along weekend and all the lawyers are away, so whats the rush.
Guess i'll just relax and wait for the sparks to fly.

Jim Schwarz
05-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Those pictures are disgusting. From what has been described however, it's not an EIFS system, but more of a traditional stucco/plaster. It MAY qualify as a DAFS (direct-applied-finish-system) from the material manufacturer/supplier.

Where is this located? Up here in Toronto, permits and plans are not required so long as you're not adding more than 5" total to the exterior wall surface (total 2 opposing wall elevations). Inspections should however, be done by a manufacturer rep on every installation (in order to qualify for the warranty, at any rate).

Lawyer is probably the right way to go -- I don't know how much success people have with suing these fly-by-night contractors -- but at the very least they should caulk around the openings (leaving weeping vents at the bottom) so as to prevent any further damage while the mess gets sorted out.

archivoyeur
05-21-2009, 06:52 AM
as I just want to smack the guy.

I'll hold him, you smack him. Who's got the fire ants and honey?

Jerry Peck
05-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Who's got the fire ants and honey?

I've just returned with them, ran out on the last smack 'em and slather with honey and fire ants and had to get s'more. :)

A.D. Miller
05-21-2009, 09:36 AM
And where will he be found in 2 years.
Nowhere!

Wayne: Wrong. He will likely be in Texas. I've seen his work many times before.:D

Tim Spargo
05-29-2009, 12:50 AM
We're always aksed for an attribute...

"looks nice from a distance?"

Tim

wayne soper
05-29-2009, 05:40 AM
Update, The town inspector was out and gave him the double dip on most of the items I had already told him about but have yet to hear the verdict on the wall finish from the town. Will be getting the inspectors # on next inspection in 2 weeks.
I'm SURE! all will be repaired and up to specs:D

Paul Frey
10-25-2010, 01:03 PM
As far as I can tell, there is nothing correct about this install. Strongly recommend further evaluation and list your concerns - make sure that yhey know you are not doing an invasive inspection but from what you can see there is a strojng possibiolity of sub strate damages occurijng unless addressed. You will be drawn into the lawsuit down the road unless you run (don't walk) as soon as possible.

Steven Turetsky
10-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Update, The town inspector was out and gave him the double dip on most of the items I had already told him about but have yet to hear the verdict on the wall finish from the town. Will be getting the inspectors # on next inspection in 2 weeks.
I'm SURE! all will be repaired and up to specs:D

All will "appear" to be repaired and up to specs. If this is what you can see, imagine what you can't see.

Billy Stephens
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Well at least we know where " The Crew ! " Stops for Breakfast. :eek:
:D* May I Suggest a Big Box of Band-Aids ?:D

John Carroll
10-26-2010, 08:15 PM
I didn't see anything a little "cawk" couldn't fix.:cool: