PDA

View Full Version : Greasey Cooktops

Rick Hurst
06-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Write them up and carry a fire extinguisher in your truck.:eek:

Five minutes into the my first inspection this morning. This will get your attention.

rick

Jim Luttrall
06-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Whoa!:eek:

Matt Fellman
06-03-2009, 11:48 PM
I had that exact thing happen recently. Dirty cook tops and ovens are PITA. Once they start smoking you're best off to just let them burn clean. The occaisional bonfire sucks though.

Jerry Peck
06-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Jeez, now HIs have to carry slim pointy sticks, marshmallows and hot dogs too? :D

K Robertson
06-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Jeez, now HIs have to carry slim pointy sticks, marshmallows and hot dogs too? :D

Will TREC allow me to bring Brats or do they have to be Hot Dogs? And if so, is there a particular brand that is required. Man our tools just keep getting more and more complicated.

Jerry Peck
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Write them up and carry a fire extinguisher in your truck.:eek:

Five minutes into the my first inspection this morning. This will get your attention.

rick

Rick,

And some say that only gas burners can cause fires, that electric elements cannot start a grease fire. :rolleyes:

You now have photographic evidence that they are wrong. :cool:

brian schmitt
06-04-2009, 10:30 AM
guess youv'e never seen the new gas -electric hybrid stoves before?:D

Jerry Peck
06-04-2009, 10:36 AM
guess youv'e never seen the new gas -electric hybrid stoves before?:D

So that is what those dang igniter thingys look like for gas stoves ... well I'll be danged ... :D

John Kogel
06-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Rick, I see you have priorities straight. First take the pic, then look for the fire extinguisher.
Now we're cookin with gas! :)

Rick Hurst
06-04-2009, 09:36 PM
John,

Actually what happened is I've learned over the years to take pictures of just about everything.

I even take a picture of the heating elements when they are the high setting to have as prove the cooktop was operable the day of the inspection. After having several people call me a month or two latter telling me their cooktop doesn't work, the pictures I have now as a backup show it was operable the day I was there.

As far as my pic, I just happen to have it in my hand fixing to take a picture of the working elements. After the fire started up, I could tell you where the camera went from there as I was hustling to put out the blaze.

I went to the service panel first and switched off the main disconnect and then I headed to the truck for the extinguisher. By the time I got back in, the fire was coming out from all 4 elements.

Amazing thing was there was not that much grease in the drip pans, but underneath the cooktop it was covered with probably 20+ years of grease drippings.:eek:

rick

Matt Fellman
06-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Greasy stove, greasy fan.... and the seller just died of a heart attack at age 50. Nobody saw it coming..... except for Jimmy Dean.

Michael Chambers
06-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Well at least by the time the fire was out, you shouldn't have had to write it up for being greasy anymore.

John Arnold
06-05-2009, 04:50 AM
Greasy stove, greasy fan.... and the seller just died of a heart attack at age 50. Nobody saw it coming..... except for Jimmy Dean.

From yesterday's inspection...

Rick Hurst
06-05-2009, 05:26 AM
John,

That is some serious cooking going on in that home.:eek:

They must have had fried chicken 3 meals a day.

rick

John Arnold
06-05-2009, 06:04 AM
I guess I am looking up at an exhaust fan? If so, what is that thing to the right of the black motor that looks like a white plastic bottle with red top, a home made vibration damper?????

That's one of the fan blades, isn't it? You can see another one on the left.

Jerry Peck
06-05-2009, 06:23 AM
then I headed to the truck for the extinguisher. By the time I got back in, the fire was coming out from all 4 elements.

Note to self: Add LOOK under stove top before turning on. :D

Note to self: Carry small extinguisher in tool bag, when Rick got back it could have already involved the upper cabinets - don't want that to happen to self. :eek: Also carry copy of Rick's photo for anyone who asks what extinguisher is for. :D

David OKeefe
06-05-2009, 06:28 AM
I'm getting off the subject here but I noticed in Ricks photo an outlet over the stove. Please, someone confirm to me that that is not OK!

Richard Stanley
06-05-2009, 06:39 AM
FYI Not grease - several years ago, I had an element flame. There was a hairline break that I had not noticed before turing it on. - I turned it off and the flame went out.

Jerry Peck
06-05-2009, 07:46 AM
I'm getting off the subject here but I noticed in Ricks photo an outlet over the stove. Please, someone confirm to me that that is not OK!

Is that allowed?

Yes ... and ... no.

Yes. Is a receptacle allowed to be installed there? Sure, nothing says not to (other than common sense), no receptacle *is required to be* installed there, but you are allowed to install one there.

No. Most of the installation instructions I recall have read for ranges, cook tops, etc., warn against having material in that location which cannot with 200 degrees F (as I recall that was the temperature), and, no, that cover plate and receptacle is not intended to withstand 200 degrees F.

Rick Hurst
06-05-2009, 08:15 PM
Today, I came prepared!:D

Rick Cantrell
06-06-2009, 03:43 AM
So you catch a lot of houses on fire, do you?:D

Rick Hurst
06-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Rick C.

Its my new way of verification that the smoke detectors are operable.;)

rick