PDA

View Full Version : Discolored water

dan orourke
06-01-2007, 09:45 AM

Paul Kondzich
06-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Ive had that happen with homes that are unoccupied for a long time. How long did you let it run?

Mark Nahrgang
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I've seen this with the aerator on the kitchen sink in several instances. Simply speaking the faucet causes a lot of tiny bubbles into the water. (Never have understood the purpose.) If you pour a glass, it will initially look somewhat chalky in color. If you let it sit for just a minute, all the tiny microscopic bubbles drift out and the water is again crystal clear.

Of course if it doesn't clear in a few seconds or it clears and you see settlement in the bottom of the glass, then that's a whole other story. :eek:

Richard Rushing
06-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Dan,

Identify what you know and what you see.

The home has been sitting for 90 days. No power I take it...

More than likley the water heater is in need of draining, fixtures run for 20 minutes to flush the system.

RR

Thom Walker
06-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Because I never know the mineral content of any water, no matter where I am, if a house has been vacant for several months I will always run the water until I feel like at least the capacity of the heater has been reached. This is done by running all hot water faucets.
Then I reignite the heater and go do other stuff until it has a chance to reheat. Then I test as usual. I do the same thing if I smell sulfur when I first run the water.
Related to vacant houses and water, for those who may have forgotten, here's the safety article about why else you should run substantial hot water at vacant houses.

eLCOSH : The Dishwaser Exploded (http://www.cdc.gov/elcosh/docs/d0400/d000435/d000435.html)

Rick Cantrell
06-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Thom
That sounds like a Myth Buster job

Thom Walker
06-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Or a Jackass stunt.

Rick Hurst
06-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Dan,

From the wonderful web:

Milky or Cloudy Looking Water

Why does the water look milky?

Occasionally your water may look milky or cloudy. Milky looking water is usually the result of very tiny air bubbles in the water. These bubbles are so small (almost invisible to the naked eye) they look like someone poured milk in your water.

Where do the bubbles come from?

Our water has air dissolved in it all the time. Most of the time the air stays dissolved in the water and you can't see it. During the colder months the water temperature drops down into the forties (Fahrenheit). When water gets cold, it can hold more air (oxygen) in solution and becomes supersaturated.

If the cold supersaturated water comes into contact with any obstruction in the plumbing system (such as a valve that is not completely open), it causes turbulence which results in the air coming out of solution and forming tiny bubbles. You don't have the same problem in the summer time because the water does not contain as much air.

Is the Utilities Department doing anything about this?

No. Unfortunately, we cannot control the temperature of the water.

How long will it last?

This problem can last until the water warms back up.

Is it harmful?

No.

Jon Randolph
06-01-2007, 05:24 PM
Was it the hot and cold water or just one?
Was it like that at all of the fixtures?
Was there an odor?
Had the home been winterized?