PDA

View Full Version : Gaps between siding and stone

mathew stouffer
06-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I pointed this out on an inspection today and several people involved didn't seem to think it was important. Any thoughts from our masons and siding contractors. I am recommending correcting the gaps, but now I am second guessing myself.

Thanks

Rick Hurst
06-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Only reason you'd want to seal those openings would be to keep out any moisture or insects which would be a bad thing. Right? ;)

rick

Bruce Ramsey
06-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like the joints are somewhat protected from falling rain. Driving rain may be a different matter.

The gaps could be an entry point for insects and other vermin. If for no other reason, the gaps should be sealed for draft protection.

Let's see, weather intrusion, insect & vermin infestation, draft protection. Yeah, I would say they should be sealed.

Jerry Peck
06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Look at the last photo with the mortar next to the beam ... is that what you really want?

That will/can cause the beam to wood decay.

You WANT that gap with no mortar.

THEN you want that gap with no mortar sealed with a good sealant.

And they need to do something about the mortar up against that laminated beam.

mathew stouffer
06-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the info.

MaMa Mount
06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
If there is rain it does not have to be blowing directly into the crack to get moisture in the joint as Mr. Ramsey mentioned. Stuff a piece of tissue paper in the crack and check it out after a light rain. You will find it is damp.

Stephen Meyer
06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Agree with Jerry. Backer rod and sealant for me..

sm