PDA

View Full Version : Pellet stove flue.

Rick Vernon
06-12-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm not familiar with pellet stoves. Is this flue normal for this type of burner.

Rick Vernon
06-12-2009, 05:13 AM
May have found the answer but thanks anyway. I love this site!

Installing a Pellet or Corn Stove (http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/installing_pelletstove)

Bob Harper
06-12-2009, 11:51 AM
Rick, your photos show a pellet insert but the venting is for a freestanding stove. What did they do--blow a hole through the back of a ventfree factory built fireplace?

Be careful with that website Rick. The webmaster has a habit of giving advice that flies in the face of codes and standards.

To answer your question, you would need a copy of the Whitfield pellet stove and the pellet venting mfr.

Where is the vent termination? Looks like just an ell but could be a term. as they make one with the heavy mesh tuckied inside. However, those don't have the male quarter turn twist lock at the end.

brian schmitt
06-12-2009, 01:35 PM
the chimney should be of a type listed for use with a pellet stove or per manufacturer. where is the outside air ? is it direct vent?is the flue direct vent listed? questions questions?

John Kogel
06-12-2009, 07:38 PM
We usually see them with a bit of a stack like in these pics.
That's an ugly house, Rick.

Rick Vernon
06-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Bob, Brian, and John, thank you for the replies!

Bob, the "termination" was an open pipe. No mesh or screen. I'm not sure about "blowing a hole through the back" but wouldn't doubt it. That chase was not visible or accessable from the attic but from the roof did not appear to have been used.
Brian, no outside air source. Good observation.
John, Yes ugly- blocking installed over siding.

Thanks again!

Rick