PDA

View Full Version : Home Inspections Without Utilities Now Available in Southern ... - Emediawire (press

Brian Hannigan
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
InspectionNews has just found the following information that might be of interest to you:

Home Inspections Without Utilities Now Available in Southern ... (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/1-0&fd=R&url=http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2009/6/prweb2520304.htm&cid=0&ei=jJwySpKyC5CQ9QTe0c2PCA&usg=AFQjCNGeEbdESTEj9k9C8EwQ-Qpgn3wx1A)
Emediawire (press release), WA
Riverside County, CA (PRWEB) June 12, 2009 -- Home buyers and real estate agents can no longer depend on utilities being on when they go to do a home inspection. Guaranteed Home Inspections guarantees that utilities will be available by bringing them ...

More... (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=T&ct=us/1-0&fd=R&url=http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2009/6/prweb2520304.htm&cid=0&ei=jJwySpKyC5CQ9QTe0c2PCA&usg=AFQjCNGeEbdESTEj9k9C8EwQ-Qpgn3wx1A)

Scott Patterson
06-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Please say it's not true!

This guy keep natural gas in a tank on his van so he can provide gas to homes that have had the gas turned off! I would think that this might be on the illegal side, and highly frowned upon by the gas utility.

Also another point is that he has a generator to provide power to the home when the power is off! The same goes for the water!

I have seen the generator guys before. We had one in my subdivision set a house on fire when his connections arced in the panel like an arc welder! The arc went through the back of the panel and into the wall of the garage, catching the OSB on fire. An alert neighbor and a member of the VFD knocked the flames down with a garden hose until the fire department could arrive, he saved the house.

Rick Cantrell
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
And when something goes bad I can hear the owners say," Why the #@!** do you think I turned the _____ off to begin with?".

Jim Luttrall
06-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Bad, bad, idea.
Lots of down side and only one upside, keeping the agent happy.
I check to see if the utilities are on when scheduling, I show up at the appointed time and do the inspection with or without the utilities. No way I am lugging around water, gas, generator, and risk life and limb breaking the law to connect unapproved components to the house for a $200 fee. (of course I am also not leaving the house for a $200 fee)
These guys are going to get somebody hurt or killed.

Michael Thomas
06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I always love reading the fine print on these "guaranteed "inspections: require a defect be reported within 30 days, cap your liability at 10 times the inspection fee, and then require arbitration... which almost never makes economic sense from the standpoint of a buyer with those kinds of liability caps are present.

IMO, these "guarantees" actually amount to a form of fraud against consumers.

One-way I can see , though, to literally blast through those liability caps: professional negligence, for example by connecting Nat Gas appliances to a tank on your truck!

And here I go around worrying about whether I set the thermostat back exactly where I found it!

Rick Hurst
06-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I wonder if he has a DOT permit for carrying Natural Gas on his truck?

rick

Jerry Peck
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
I think they meant LPG (Propane), but maybe they meant LNG (liquefied natural gas)???

Regardless, I can just see something happening when he connects the wrong gas up, or even the right gas, the a system which has been shut off *for a reason*.

Talk about "stupid is as stupid does" ... man, he is trying to thin the gene pool and take others with him.

Guess he also carrier a whole house generator, and a enough water and a pump to supply full pressure, and ... what a fool ... :eek:

Richard Stanley
06-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Hey, lighten up. This guy is Nicky (nachi) certified. He must be good.

Randy Aldering
06-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Wow. Fool. Insane. Nut job. There are so many things that could go wrong. We need Brian to follow this, and see how long this continues. I can see real problems. Like back-feeding the electrical grid by mistake, and frying neighbor's electronics. Electrocuting a utility company employee (how is he going to verify that the electricity is off just at that house he is inspecting?).

Way over the line, off the chart. Totally nuts. This just boggles the mind. I have to wonder if he carries both LPG and LNG? If he hooks up LNG to a propane system by mistake, his eyebrows will be a while growing back. And the insurance company will probably want him to rebuild the house.

One other thought: these inspections are guaranteed? So think about this: he says if he doesn't find it, he will fix it. Considering every thing we know, would any body really want this guy fixing any thing at their house?

A.D. Miller
06-13-2009, 10:16 AM
The address should be NotPlayingWithAFullDeck.com | Not Playing With A Full Deck | Idiom Phrases | English Idioms | Funny Sayings (http://www.notplayingwithafulldeck.com)

A.D. Miller
06-13-2009, 10:17 AM
The Hann's interface truly sucks.:D

Brian Hannigan
06-13-2009, 05:41 PM
The Hann's interface truly sucks.:D

??

What's wrong?

Jerry Peck
06-13-2009, 06:20 PM
??

What's wrong?

Brian,

That is Aaron saying that the link, like all links on all sites, picks up the titles to the sites and displays them instead of the site address, resulting in the above link you posted with an inspector bragging about how fearless he was about being sued for doing what he does (but not using those words), so Aaron posted his own wording take on what the link title should have said.

Typical Aaron smoke. ;)

Ron Bibler
06-13-2009, 09:42 PM
You must give the guy this... He is thinking out of the box.

Best

Ron

Jim Luttrall
06-13-2009, 09:47 PM
You must give the guy this... He is thinking out of the box.

Best

Ron

yep, he does not even know where the box is.

Jim Luttrall
06-14-2009, 10:28 AM
The mechanics of doing this would not be that difficult. Compressed natural gas and DOT system is current technology for cars and buses which could easily be adapted. RV generators, water tanks, etc. would be easy to adapt but... just because you CAN do something does not mean you SHOULD.
Somebody could easily get hurt or killed, unfortunately it will not be limited just to the stupid person doing the work.

A.D. Miller
06-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Somebody could easily get hurt or killed, unfortunately it will not be limited just to the stupid person doing the work.

JL: And that is exactly why lunatics like that should be locked up.:D

Jerry Peck
06-14-2009, 12:24 PM
The mechanics of doing this would not be that difficult. Compressed natural gas and DOT system is current technology for cars and buses which could easily be adapted ...

The problem with natural gas, though, is there is is NO CONNECTION for it as there is with propane, one would have to disconnect the meter to supply the system with natural gas and effectively check everything as the piping is sized from the meter inward, and removing the meter is more than likely against the law, much less difficult and dangerous to do with gas the service shut off (which probably does not fully shut the gas off, but leaks some anyway).

That fool is likely going to kill himself, and as long as he only kills himself, that would be his choice, but there is a risk he may take someone else with him or destroy the structure too.

Ron Bibler
06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
I was just thinking about this and if I'm correct he in violation of a new Calif law. that was past about 6 years ago. that only the Gas company can turn on and off gas systems. this was due to a Fumigation company that Fumigated a home for termites an the house went up in a GAS ball. dam near burn down the street of homes. after that a law was pass that only the gas company can turn of or off the gas sysems.
I think it was a fire code.

Best

Ron

EmmanuelScanlan
06-15-2009, 07:19 AM
Very interesting! But you have not seen his "Revolutionary new rain simulator" Home Inspections from Guaranteed Home Inspections, Licensed and Certified Home Inspectors (http://www.sandshomeinspections.com/). Wow you California guys are really ahead of the times!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

INACHI = I'm No Clever Home Inspector??

Here is a perfect example of policing your own. If the individual is not licensed as an electrician, plumber or HVAC tech, and that is required for any part of what he is now doing, then you should bring this to the attention of those licensing boards. As a minimum it should be brought to the attention of the local Fire Marshall as this is a potential serious accident waiting to happen.

For those of you who are CREIA members I would also expect that as a non-member that CREIA would not be happy with him throwing around their name even though he does not claim to be a member. He is, in effect, potentially misleading people into believing he is.

I would find it extremely hard to believe that this individual is carrying any GL or E&O insurance. If he is I would love to know who the carrier is that would insure these activities at a reasonable price.

Jim Luttrall
06-15-2009, 07:51 AM
Wow, I had not heard of the "revolutionary rain simulator." Got to get me one of those!
I am amazed how similar this "revolutionary rain simulator" looks to a garden hose. I wonder how that can be?

EmmanuelScanlan
06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Jim,

With that much water and pressure he would have to bring his own large water tank (much bigger than that van can handle) and a pump. Otherwise he would have to illegally hook to the nearest fire hydrant. Given the rest of the claims and activities I would lean towards hooking to a fire hydrant.

Jim Luttrall
06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Perhaps I should have used a :rolleyes: emoticon to make sure all knew the tongue-in-cheek flavor of my questions.
I agree it is a large water hose, but a water hose none the less. So much for the "revolutionary rain simulator" ;) :D
Not wishing anything bad on anyone, but I don't see how Darwin's theory can be believed if this guy remains in business or the gene pool.
Glad he is over on the left coast so the explosions don't get me.:D