PDA

View Full Version : Majestic storage pit ??

Dave Hahn
06-15-2009, 12:22 PM
Found this imbedded in the concrete outside at the left exterior corner of a 1950's house. The lid has "Majestic" stamped on it and there's a lift-out pail.

Possible old solid-fuel heating system no longer present.

Any (reasonable) thoughts?
Is this a holding pit for kindling, logs, coal ???

Thx,
Dave

Jerry Peck
06-15-2009, 01:17 PM
Garbage can.

Many places used to bury those and the garbage can was set down inside it.

The last few that I've seen were either used for storing garden hoses in of as a place for snakes to live. :eek:

Michael Thomas
06-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Looks like the composting garbage pits we used to have it summer homes in Michigan back in the 1950s and 60s, you put the garbage in there and poured in some kind of composting starter had rotted away to almost nothing..

Ted Menelly
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Looks like the composting garbage pits we used to have it summer homes in Michigan back in the 1950s and 60s, you put the garbage in there and poured in some kind of composting starter had rotted away to almost nothing..

Many old homes in certain cities and towns had garbage pick up not just rubbish/trash pick up.. Now everyone just grinds it up in the disposal.

Steve Frederickson
06-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Boy, does that bring back memories, particulary of the stench when the cover was opened and the sight of thousand of maggots.

This site is making me feel old. A few days ago, sopmeone was asking about a metal contraption in an attic, not realizing that it was a TV antenna.

I have a 6' long slide rule that was used by teachers in classrooms to show the students how to use a slide rule. It's hanging from the ceiling in my office. One of my son's friends asked me about it recently, When I told him it was an old time calculator, he said "you used to have to carry that to school!?" True story.

Oh, and I got my AARP card today, and my non-digital TV just stopped working. http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/images/icons/icon12.gif

Jerry Peck
06-15-2009, 05:38 PM
I have a 6' long slide rule that was used by teachers in classrooms to show the students how to use a slide rule.

Man, I used to use those things every day, day in and day out, several times during the day. Yuck! Putooie!

Ted Menelly
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Man, I used to use those things every day, day in and day out, several times during the day. Yuck! Putooie!

"Yuck! Putooie!"

You are killing me here :p

Eric Barker
06-16-2009, 08:14 AM
When I was little we used to burn our trash. We used a galvanized trash can that had perforated sides and lid - about 30 gallon size or so and designed for such use. Every few months my dad had to go buy a new one due to deterioration of the old can - the fire would burn off the zinc plating leaving the can prone to rusting. Somewhere along the line our area graduated to a pickup service. I can't remember if that was before or after we got rotary phone service.

Bryan D. Carlson
06-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Do any of you guys remember what it was like to ride dinosaurs to school?:D

Jerry Peck
06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Do any of you guys remember what it was like to ride dinosaurs to school?:D

Dinosaurs had not come along yet. :)