PDA

View Full Version : radon mitigation equipment

John Dirks Jr
06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
I'm NEHA NRPP certified for radon measurement.

Sometimes I come across radon mitigation equipment. Sometimes people ask me questions about it.

While I'm not interested in getting certified in the mitigation equipment, I would like to know more about it.

Do you have any suggestions for reputable information on radon mitigation systems?

I'll do the usual web search too but I know some of you might be able to point me in the right direction also.

Ed Snedaker
06-21-2009, 03:33 PM
John,

Are you state licensed? In back-asswords Ohio we are and, as such, cannot comment on Radon mitigator's work unless we are also licensed to do mitigation. To get licensed we must attend a class and pass a test, which includes mitigation systems.

I got yelled at by a mitigator one time because I commented on the installation. I simply explained how it was done and what to look for as the occupant of the building. It was a perfectly appropriate installation, but I still got the call. I have since dropped my license and I can say what I damn well please. Obviously, I recommend that guy's competition when I can, just to be helpful.;)

The EPA site should provide you with all the info you need.

Ed

John Dirks Jr
06-21-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm pretty sure Maryland law does not prohibit me from commenting on radon mitigation systems.

I had planned to check out the EPA site. Thanks.

John Dirks Jr
06-21-2009, 04:49 PM
I think I'll snag one of these too.

Amazon.com: Protecting Your Home from Radon: A Step by Step Manual for Radon Reduction: Douglas L. Kladder, James F. Burkhart, Steven R. Jelinek: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Protecting-Your-Home-Radon-Reduction/dp/0963943405)

Scott Patterson
06-22-2009, 07:55 AM
I use a checklist that has been around for several years. Maybe you can gleam some information from it that might be useful. It is in the public domain and on the EPA website.

CaoimhĂ­n P. Connell
06-25-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi John:

If Doug Kladder has his name on a book – buy the book. Doug is a very competent fellow.

Cheers!
CaoimhĂ*n P. Connell
Forensic Industrial Hygienist
Forensic Industrial Hygiene (http://www.forensic-applications.com)

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

John Arnold
06-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Hi John:

If Doug Kladder has his name on a book – buy the book. Doug is a very competent fellow...

But, but ....

I was under the distinct impression that your opinion of nearly all residential radon mitigation is based on, not to put too fine a point on it, a bunch of hooey?!

John Dirks Jr
06-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Kladder was the instructor in the Radon Measurement course I took. He was good. I learned plenty of stuff that I didn't know.

Bruce Breedlove
09-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Kladder was the instructor in the Radon Measurement course I took. He was good. I learned plenty of stuff that I didn't know.

I know Doug and have worked with him on many occasions. (I live 6 miles from his office. In fact I inspected the building before he bought it.) He is a great guy and he knows more about radon than anyone I know.

Like CaoimhĂ*n said, buy Doug's book. It should be very helpful to you.