PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this fireplace?

John Kogel
06-22-2009, 07:39 PM
In a 40 yr old house, this fancy corner feature is cracked and and starting to tip off the metal shelf support. There is work to do to the chimney outside so I said to get the mason to check this. Maybe put in a steel post?

The 4th pic is the flue for the oil furnace. Can a mason fix that with fireclay or mortar? I suggested a metal flue liner as alternative.

Nick Ostrowski
06-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Not sure about the cause or remedy in pics 1-3 John but pic #4 defintely needs a new flue liner.

Matt Fellman
06-22-2009, 08:10 PM
Not sure about the cause or remedy in pics 1-3 John but pic #4 defintely needs a new flue liner.

Agree.... I'm inclined to think the crack is not a big deal. I'm guessing 60's construction - probably had no chimney cap ever and the liner is shot. I'd be curious to see what the top looks like. I'd bet either totally shot or just rebuilt.

John Arnold
06-23-2009, 04:37 AM

What Nick said. I can't see anyone "fixing" that flue liner. Just put in a metal one.

John Kogel
06-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks all. I'm trying to increase my masonry knowledge. No problem with the obvious stuff, it's the small cracks and patches I'd like to be firmer on.

I know this chimney could use a cap and a cricket flashing too. Not bad for the age though.

Bart Ogden
06-29-2009, 04:38 AM
Definitely needs a corner post and a liner. Corner post should have been installed when fireplace was built.

Bart Ogden

In a 40 yr old house, this fancy corner feature is cracked and and starting to tip off the metal shelf support. There is work to do to the chimney outside so I said to get the mason to check this. Maybe put in a steel post?

The 4th pic is the flue for the oil furnace. Can a mason fix that with fireclay or mortar? I suggested a metal flue liner as alternative.

John Kogel
06-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Definitely needs a corner post and a liner. Corner post should have been installed when fireplace was built.

Bart OgdenThanks Bart.