PDA

View Full Version : Open well in crawl space

Peter Wigle
06-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I haven't seen the house yet, but the prospective buyer told me that there is an open well in the crawl space under an addition. It is not capped.

Apart from being a source of moisture, does anyone's experience suggest other possible problems? Should capping it be expected to solve the probable moisture problems (those directly related to the well)? Is it possible for an artesian well to overflow under any condition (exceptionally heavy rain over an extended time)?

Rick Hurst
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Peter,

Years ago while performing a termite inspection on a pier and beam foundation I did as you mention and found a well below this house. As I was belly crawling under this home, I came directly upon the side of the well. Scared me to death.:eek:

You could see the interior brick lined side walls of the well still very much intact. I shined my maglite down and could see the water a good 50+ft. down.

Amazing thing was that the wood below the house (floor joists, girders, and sub flooring) had zero evidence of any moisture problems.

The homebuyer who bought this home had a pump brought in and used the well for watering of the lawn.

Come to find out the house was built on land that had been an old farm site.

rick

Vern Heiler
06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Peter, here in NC abandon wells have to be sealed by a licensed well driller, even drilled 2" wells. If it is not sealed and there are contaminants found in the aquifer, open or unsealed wells are the first place that is looked at as a possible source. If it is your well that contaminated the water it can cost a bundle in fines.

Ron Bibler
06-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I haven't seen the house yet, but the prospective buyer told me that there is an open well in the crawl space under an addition. It is not capped.

Apart from being a source of moisture, does anyone's experience suggest other possible problems? Should capping it be expected to solve the probable moisture problems (those directly related to the well)? Is it possible for an artesian well to overflow under any condition (exceptionally heavy rain over an extended time)?

Had one like this that the sides were caving in and doing damage to the foundation.

Best

Ron

Raymond Wand
06-24-2009, 04:29 AM
Peter,

Don't know what region of Ontario you are in, but wells not in use have to be decommissioned. In the crawlspace the most easy remedy is to likely cap the well provided of course the well is not collapsing.

Costs to decommission a well can run between $1k-$2K and must be done with proper materials. Of course access in a crawlspace may increase the cost to decommission.

Water Treatment: The Wellhead Protection Area Program - Private Well Abandonment Program - Public Works - Region of Peel (http://www.peelregion.ca/pw/water/water-trtmt/wellhead-abandon.htm)
Region of Durham - Health (http://www.region.durham.on.ca/health.asp?nr=/departments/health/health_protection/wellWater/wellAbandonment.htm&setFooter=/includes/health/healthFooterWell.txt&pf=1)