PDA

View Full Version : MS Word tips

Jim Luttrall
06-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible and how to increase the size of thumbnail photos when using the insert photo feature in MS Word?
I'm running the 2003 version.
My problem is sorting through my photos and finding the correct one to insert into the report. If I could increase the size it would make it much easier to see and save some time during report writing. I have tried to use the preview style, but I can't see and select multiple photo like using the thumbnail feature.
Thanks, Jim

Bruce King
06-02-2007, 01:39 PM
It seems to be a preset size.

I just use windows explorer in thumbnail or filmstrip mode to help find the right picture.

Mike Keady
06-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Microsoft Vista allows much larger pictures.

Mike

Thom Walker
06-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Jim,
I stopped using the insert feature and now copy from the thumbnails and paste to the doc. If you highlight all the pictures when you first insert your chip and choose "resize", it will resize them all at once. i use 640x480 and get two side by side on the report. I think I had to narrow the four columns just a snatch hair to get that.

After I have resized everything here's how I do it because I sometimes can't see the thumbnails.

Right click on any thumbnail.
Highlight "open with"
Choose "MS office picture manager"

From there you can edit however you want. Your photo number is on the screen for reference at the thumbnail. When you save your edits, it automatically changes the thumbnail. I only go to picture manager when I can't see the thumbnail. You can arrow through all the thumbnails as you need to.

It took two or three reports to get used to, but now I could never go back to insert. I used to use pix sparingly because I thought they junked up the report unless absolutely necessary. I got so many comments about how helpful they are that I use them liberally now. I don't think I could have done this using insert feature.

Hope it's helpful.

Jim Luttrall
06-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the tips.
Thom, where are your pictures when you select the thumb nails?
Are you leaving the document file open and switching back and forth between screens to copy and paste?
I take MANY pic. and use them for my notes and then select only a few for insertion in the report. The preview select feature works, but only for one picture at a time, On the thumbnail, I can see and select several pictures at one time for each section. Just looking for a little larger image. Your method sounds promising, I just need a little more detail to get started.
Jim

Thom Walker
06-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I take the 2GB memory card out of the camera and insert into the laptop.
Yes. The doc, the thumb nails, and MS picture mgr are all open and I go back and forth as needed.
Like I said, you can brighten, crop, whatever from pic mgr to get exactly what you want.
If you don't mind me suggesting; I think you're making the mistake I used to i.e. taking too many shots and then choosing the best. That seems like a good idea, but as you're finding out, it takes a lot of time during write up. When I had to get another camera, I bought one with an eye piece. As much as I loved the Mavica, it only had the screen. Using the eye piece, I find I need far fewer shots and they look just like I remember seeing them.
If you think I can help, you can call me or email me anytime.

Jim Luttrall
06-03-2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks, Thom. I have been playing with your suggestion and it seems to have promise. I am not fond of the edit features in the MS picture manager, but the thumbnail size is better. I like to edit the photo directly inside MS Word, it has the most used features readily available to crop, lighten, rotate and compress right in the document so I get to see the finished product in the document at the finished size. I might use MS Picture manager just to get the size right though.
On the subject of camera view finders, better stock up, most smaller camera manufacturers have begun doing away with them. I found this out the hard way a couple of months ago when replacing mine. I'm thinking of ebay shopping to find a couple of the older model Sony's like the one I killed. The next best thing, a Canon is not nearly as good for low light situations and file management.
Thanks, Jim

Nolan Kienitz
06-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Jim,

Won't belabor this as it is a tad more drift ... I had to get a new digital as well this spring.

I got the Canon A630. Has viewfinder and screen view. I use viewfinder most all the time.

As you noted ... fewer and fewer viewfinders on the digital units that are in a tolerable price range.