PDA

View Full Version : Condensing Unit Explosion

Rick Hurst
06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Check out this video. The sound quality is poor but gets better as it goes.

Personally, I think the home warranty people can put it back together.:D

YouTube - The air conditioner exploded in the middle of summer! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z12UCvibKT0&feature=player_embedded)

Rick Hurst
06-25-2009, 12:31 PM
Here's another one called, "The Night of the Living Janitrol"

Amazing stuff. Can't believe the fool would stand there and film this thing.

YouTube - Night of the living Janitrol (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0o_9R8T_Is&feature=related)

Jerry Peck
06-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I can't imagine that a "power surge" caused that explosion of the condenser unit.

A lightning strike, maybe, but not a "power surge".

What say you a/c technicians?

Jim Luttrall
06-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Maybe someone used a refrigerant containing propane. I understand that there are/were some out in the automotive world marketed as a replacement for R-12... that used propane.

Nothing in a standard system to explode.
Capacitors can short and expode, but they are not C4!

Rick Hurst
06-25-2009, 02:58 PM
Not even a .50cal. would do that much damage.:D

Jerry Peck
06-25-2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe someone used a refrigerant containing propane. I understand that there are/were some out in the automotive world marketed as a replacement for R-12... that used propane.

Now that - using propane for refrigerant - I could understand it going boom.

bruce m graham III
06-25-2009, 04:09 PM
I can't imagine this happening and there not be refrigerant oil on everything.

Rick Hurst
06-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Bruce,

Its probably splattered all over the neighborhood.

rick

Billy Stephens
06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Not even a .50cal. would do that much damage.:D
I'm thinking a Meteor Strike. :D

Bob Harper
06-25-2009, 04:25 PM
HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion (http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=319252&page=2)

Here's where I first saw this story and commented. I like the way the "expert" with the camera is tampering with evidence and ruining the scene. BTW, wonder if anybody killed the power to that circuit and the indoor unit?

Good vid. on what NOT to do if you suffer and explosion. Until the experts get in there, everyone can speculate all the want, which is pretty much a waste of breath and time.
Bob

Rick Hurst
06-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Bob,

Thinking like a CSI man.:D

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the guy picking up parts and kicking stuff around.

rick

Jerry Peck
06-25-2009, 05:42 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I saw the guy picking up parts and kicking stuff around.

I think probably most of us thought that.

What is that guy doing? Jeez, he needs to leave it all in place. :eek:

Unless, of course, he was there after all had been examined and the owner was showing off to the neighbors, who would not believe him without video proof.:)

Jim Schwarz
06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Bruce,

Its probably splattered all over the neighborhood.

rick
This made me LOL.

Dennis Krouse
08-13-2009, 08:10 AM
There was a product called OZ 12 that is made from propane, butane, iso-butane and oil that was used as a direct drop in replacement for freon. It was banned here in Florida but the product still "pops" up on occasion.