PDA

View Full Version : Knees

Tom Rees
06-26-2009, 06:44 AM
How many of you wear knee pads? My knees are taking a beating, is there an easy to wear knee pad or other answer? Would appreciate your input. :D

Gunnar Alquist
06-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Tom,

Not sure what you mean by "easy to wear". I wear knee and elbow pads in the crawlspace. Knee Pads and Tactical Protection Equipment from Alta Industries (http://www.altaindustries.com/)

I thought about having knee pads sewn into my crawl suit, but never got around to it.

Jim Luttrall
06-26-2009, 07:15 AM
Patella-T Orthopedic knee pads FluidForms: Professional Kneepads (http://www.patelladigs.com/patella_t/orthopedic/nonwedge.html)
Yeah, they are pricey but my knee pain ended three days after I started wearing them a year ago.

Do a search on threads here.

Scott Patterson
06-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Yep, the Petella-T works wonders.

You have not lived until you have had fluid drained and a steroid shot in the knee!

Matt Fellman
06-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Up here in Oregon we do a lot..... A LOT of crawl spaces. Pretty much every house some weeks. I've found the foam soft knee pads work the best. The hard shell ones are just too hard and get caught and ripped off too much while going over pipes and ductwork. I burn through a set of 'softies' every couple years but they work great overall.

In a related situation.... I had a really bad back a few years ago - so bad I ended up having surgery. While my back was bad I got in the habit of squating rather than bending and did it so much I partially messed up one of my knees. 4 or 5 sinks per house, decks, bottom edge of siding X 2 houses a day is a lot of squating. I got some very comfortable volleyball knee pads and wore them under my jeans for a few months. It works great. My knee (and my back) feels better so I don't wear them much but if you're having problems it works great.

I've often joked that I must be in the wrong line of work when a good pair of knee pads makes my job easier :)

A.D. Miller
06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
I had both knees operated on during my (carry-ten-studs-at-a-time) framing years. Gel knee pads are the only way I can go under a house.:rolleyes:

Joe Klampfer
07-02-2009, 12:07 AM
In a related situation.... I had a really bad back a few years ago - so bad I ended up having surgery.

I used to suffer with lower back pain and sciatica a lot, then watched a late-nite infomercial for TRUEBACK, didn't think much about it then one day I bought a return off ebay for 1/2 price (with free delivery) and just love it. Haven't been to a chiropractor since.

For what it's worth, might be worth a try.