PDA

View Full Version : swimming pool piping at the equipment

Michael Vasquez
06-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Is it possible to have the main drain and skimmer suction outlet lines to enter the filter before the pump? This is the first time I have seen this installation. You usually see the lines enter the pump before the filter. I tried to attach a photo but I need to resize it.

Thanks

Scott Patterson
06-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Is it possible to have the main drain and skimmer suction outlet lines to enter the filter before the pump? This is the first time I have seen this installation. You usually see the lines enter the pump before the filter. I tried to attach a photo but I need to resize it.

Thanks

I don't know, and one reason I defer all pool inspections to a pool contractor! But, with my limited knowledge I have never seen the lines entering after the pump either.

Jerry Peck
06-27-2009, 11:02 AM
I would say it would drastically reduce the suction and cleaning function of the pump, would put the filter under the wrong pressurizations and likely damage the filter.

The inlet to the filter is designed for positive pressure from the pump, the outlet from the filter is designed for positive pressure toward the outlet.

Putting a negative pressure on the outlet and the of the filter could lead to filter seal failure (sucking the 'O' ring up, sucking air in the air bleed at the top, etc.,) and could destroy the filter media - all guesses as to what 'might' or 'could' happen when connected with the filter before the pump.

It is bass ackward to say the least, potentially damaging to the filter and the pump.