PDA

View Full Version : Yard Steps

Mike Schulz
07-06-2009, 06:54 AM
This is an 04 home and apparently the AHJ doesn't have a problem with the steps in the front yard with no handrail. What do you think?

Markus Keller
07-06-2009, 08:00 AM
Not positive but from my experience I don't think most/if any around here would address that without a complaint. Around here they mostly look at the actual house. I would recommend a rail though.

Rick Hurst
07-06-2009, 10:49 AM
Having (3) or more steps, it should have a handrail.

My experience is most AHJ's don't require them though.

Its usually not an issue till Grandma slips on some ice and breaks a hip and then someone asks "Why is there not a handrail on these steps?" Hopefully its not an attorney.

rick

Jerry Peck
07-06-2009, 01:43 PM
They are included in the code, but most people do not follow it through to include them - sometimes I forget to follow it through to include them :o :( , but they are included.

Ron Bibler
07-06-2009, 01:56 PM
I find these kind of things are installed by the builder or new owner after the final inpection was completed.

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly
07-06-2009, 02:21 PM
I find these kind of things are installed by the build or new owner after the final inapect was completed.

Best

Ron

I gotta ask. What is an inapect??? :p

Well, if they fall to the side they have nice fluffy grass to fall on so as Grama is crying in pain from breaking her hip she will be comfortable.