PDA

View Full Version : Freestanding circular fireplace

Tim Kallmer
07-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Does anyone know what the clearance requirements would be away from walls and wood floors for this beast? (I couldn't find any markings, nameplates, or labels inside or out. The firebox and flue seemed to be double wall construction.) Or even what you would call this, so I could research it further?

Jim Brewer
07-07-2009, 06:17 AM
That may be a Malm fireplace, but I don't recognize that particular model with the rectangle opening. Without proof of reduced clearance (tag, manual) I would be concerned about anything less than 36" from combustibles.

Jack Murdock
07-08-2009, 04:41 AM
NFPA211 has standards for unlisted woodburning fireplaces and stoves

H.G. Watson, Sr.
04-10-2010, 09:01 AM
FYI, The photo appears to be a Majestic (I don't think its the same "Majestic" of today, thought it was out of buisness - you'd have to check, I believe it WAS the "Majestic American Standard Fireplace Company" of Indiana) "Aztec" model (not a Malm - still in business, nor a Preway - out of buisness formerly of WI, model). A cone fireplace (or as our friends from the north might call them "acorn" on cone support. Majectic Aztec colors were mottled/speckled (or freckled?) with black. The opening to the firebox was specific to the Majestic "Aztec" model, IIRC.

The attached advertisement shows a line drawing of the Aztec Model in the gray circle (at about six-o'clock) inset at the upper right amongst the color circles.

Originally they were made in three forms, wood buring, electric, and gas. It would be important to assure it hasn't been later "converted" to a wood burner improperly and is in good condition.

Raymond Wand
04-10-2010, 09:29 AM
Home insurers would likely not want to insure a home with this particular type of wood burner. It doesn't appear to be shielded so the minimum clearance must be much greater than what you have here.

H.G. Watson, Sr.
10-09-2010, 08:44 AM
Revisiting thread to add clearance label info for various models of Majestic Contemporary Fireplaces, including the two sizes of the Aztec model, before I lose track of the photo file.

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/fireplaces-chimneys-solid-fuel-burning-appliances-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/19877d1286637657-free-standing-fireplace-id-aztec-wood-burning-clearance-label.jpg

Larger view of the ad, see line drawings of various models in the gray circle upper right surrounded by color pallet samples:

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_inspection/attachments/fireplaces-chimneys-solid-fuel-burning-appliances-home-inspection-commercial-inspection/17242d1270915205-freestanding-circular-fireplace-majestic-ad.jpg

Words for searches: retro fireplace freestanding fireplace round wood-burning fireplace majestic cotemporary fireplace gas-fired fireplace acorn fireplace cone fireplace.