PDA

View Full Version : fire place vent termination

Don Walsh
07-13-2009, 08:45 AM
I recently inspected a home and once I located the attic access to my surprise I located the flue for the gas fire place. See attached picture. Previous home inspector did not locate the flue. I have contacted the manufacture for the correct installation. My concerns are the CO2 gas as well as excess moisture leading to mold and wood damage. Evidently the previous home owner did not use the fire place very much. Is there any situation that this would be acceptable?

Thanks

Jerry Peck
07-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I have contacted the manufacture for the correct installation.

No need to contact the manufacturer, that needs to go through the roof to the outdoors.

Is there any situation that this would be acceptable?

Only if the intent was to try to kill the occupants of the house.

Otherwise ... NO, not acceptable anywhere for any reason.

A.D. Miller
07-13-2009, 09:18 AM

Yes, two situations, in fact. The first would be at GWB's new residence in Dallas. The second at his new library in University Park - under construction.:D

Billy Stephens
07-13-2009, 09:26 AM

Thanks
No !
* must terminate to the exterior if the buildingper the manufactures installation instructions.

Michael Thomas
07-13-2009, 11:14 AM
My concerns are the CO2 gas as well as excess moisture leading to mold and wood damage.

BTW, I believe you mean "CO" (carbon monoxide ) gas.

Don Walsh
07-13-2009, 02:41 PM
thank you for the quick responses. I was surprised that the previous inspector and appraiser was not aware of it. Luckly the original home owners did not use the fire place.

again thanks