PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good book for framing terms and details

imported_John Smith
07-15-2009, 04:54 PM
A relative of mine in Florida is getting close to building his retirement home. He wants to be proactive and start studying how homes are built, particularly the structural items. I dont have any of my old books (thanks Ebay), and the IRC isnt reallly going to work for him. He is looking for something with lots of illustrations, industry definitions, and detail. Standard stick and brick house, on a slab, no timber framing or anything like that.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

PS he isnt going to actually do the building, he is just at a stage in his life where he has time to read, and basically is looking for something to keep him busy.

Todd Johnson
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
JS; I like the information given in Rob Thallon's book called "Graphic Guide to Frame Construction. Over 450 details for builders and designers. Published by Taunton Press.
I think I paid $15 on Amazon as a used book.
Another set is Old but full of useful information is the Audel's Carpenters and builders guide. It comes in a four volume set...ebay $25 all four. There are many others these are just a couple I have and use.:)

Gunnar Alquist
07-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Carpentry & Building Construction by Mark Feirer. I have lost my copy, but it is essentially a school textbook. My high school woodshop textbook was Cabinetmaking and Millwork by John Feirer and I have that in my library.

Bud Butczynski
07-15-2009, 10:43 PM
The second edition of Residential Carpentry by Mortimer Reed, and Residential Framing by William P. Spence. 1985 & 1993, respectively, but still pertinent. Man, I am getting old.

The apostrophe troll didn't put quotes around his titles, so neither did I. What's up with that, Gunnar? Or are they supposed to be italicized? Or underlined? I'm sure I knew in '85 and maybe even in '93.

A.D. Miller
07-16-2009, 04:36 AM
Invest in copies of:

"Framing, Sheathing and Insulation" and

"Exterior and Interior Trim"

both by John E. Ball

Scott Patterson
07-16-2009, 08:34 AM
My favorite is Modern Carpentry; Building Construction Details in Easy to Understand Form by Willis Wagner and Howard Smith. It is a text book that is used by many schools. ISN #1-59070-202-6

I paid $60 for it a few years back online through Barnes & Noble. It is a 700+ page hardcover book with tons of pictures and diagrams.

Wayne Carlisle
07-16-2009, 08:53 AM
A good web site for information is the American Plywood Association. Registration is free and they have some good information on wind bracing and shear walls.
APA Publications | APA - The Engineered Wood Association (http://www.apawood.org/level_b.cfm?content=pub_main)

brian schmitt
07-16-2009, 09:49 AM
the very efficient carpenter by larry haun taunton books .a fine homebuilding book

A.D. Miller
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Carpentry & Building Construction by Mark Feirer. I have lost my copy, but it is essentially a school textbook. My high school woodshop textbook was Cabinetmaking and Millwork by John Feirer and I have that in my library.

GA: I also have a copy of "Carpentry & Building Construction" by John Feirer and Gilbert Hutchings. Good book and a real tome at 1120 pages.

Matt Fellman
07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
The 'Code Check' books are pretty helpful... they also give IRC and UBC code numbers which can be useful.

A.D. Miller
07-17-2009, 02:31 AM
The 'Code Check' books are pretty helpful... they also give IRC and UBC code numbers which can be useful.

MF: I agree that Code Check can be helpful, but they have errors that one must be aware of.