PDA

View Full Version : Outlets too close to bathtub

Ryan Stouffer
07-15-2009, 10:34 PM
Is this acceptable to have an electrical outlet this close to a bathtub?

Thanks,

Ryan

Bill Kriegh
07-16-2009, 02:17 AM
The NEC has the following about receptacles in a tub space:

406.8 Receptacles in Damp or Wet Locations.

(C) Bathtub and Shower Space.

Receptacles shall not be
installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.

I made a drawing that illustrates what this says. From your picture, this would be a violation. However, as you can see in my drawing, a receptacle can be very close to the tub. Note that the loactions marked OK are allowed by code and not my idea of a good place to put a receptacle.

Gotta tell you though, a picture from further back would have been nice here. Kinda looks like the end a Lav in the picture.http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/itsunclebill/TUB2.jpg

Michael Thomas
07-16-2009, 03:44 AM
In that location, I sure hope that receptacle outlet is downstream of a GFCI... :eek:

Ryan Stouffer
07-16-2009, 07:20 AM
It is downstream of a gfi and the wall where the outlet is located is about three feet back from the tub. That is why I was concerned it was pretty close yet not really close.

Brent Crouse
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
... the outlet is located is about three feet back from the tub.

Great place for a radio with a 5 foot cord!!!

Todd Johnson
07-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Here is what the 2008 NEC Handbook coments say about 406.8

(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
Section 406.8(C) prohibits the installation of receptacles inside bathtub and shower spaces or above their footprint, even if the receptacles are installed in a weatherproof enclosure. Prohibiting such installation helps minimize the use of shavers, radios, hair dryers, and so on, in these areas.
The unprotected-line side of GFCI-protected receptacles installed in bathtub and shower spaces could possibly become wet and therefore create a shock hazard by energizing surrounding wet surfaces.

I would call that with-in the tub space since its on the same wall at the end of the tub and looks like its with the 3' tollerance.

Jerry Peck
07-16-2009, 05:58 PM
(bold and underlining are mine)

Here is what the 2008 NEC Handbook coments say about 406.8

(C) Bathtub and Shower Space. Receptacles shall not be installed within or directly over a bathtub or shower stall.
Section 406.8(C) prohibits the installation of receptacles inside bathtub and shower spaces or above their footprint, even if the receptacles are installed in a weatherproof enclosure. Prohibiting such installation helps minimize the use of shavers, radios, hair dryers, and so on, in these areas.
The unprotected-line side of GFCI-protected receptacles installed in bathtub and shower spaces could possibly become wet and therefore create a shock hazard by energizing surrounding wet surfaces.

I would call that with-in the tub space since its on the same wall at the end of the tub and looks like its with the 3' tollerance.

The question, then, is: Is that wall "within the bathtub ... space"? My opinion is "Yes".

The other question is: Is that receptacle above the tub footprint? The answer to that is a simple "No."

Here is another question: Is there a shower at that tub? Looks like a shower curtain, but if there is a shower that painting on the wall would be ruined and the wall would need to be tiled, etc. to 72" above the floor, minimum - so I am anticipating a "No shower." as the answer.