PDA

View Full Version : AFCI and GFCI Question

Brian Burns
06-04-2007, 03:36 PM
I did a new construction home today and came across this issue.
The breaker panel has 2 seperate circuits for the bedrooms and they are AFCI protected.
These circuits also feed the master bathroom and the hallway bathroom.
The bathrooms are GFCI protected.
My question is should the GFCI outlets in the bathrooms be fed from an AFCI protected outlet or should they be on thier own circuits?
Thank for your help!
Brian Burns
MHHI

Richard Rushing
06-04-2007, 04:45 PM
Bathrooms should be on their own circuit.

RR

Jerry Peck
06-04-2007, 05:36 PM
Bathrooms should be on their own circuit.

RR

Which should be GFCI protected.

Richard Rushing
06-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Si...

RR

Brian Burns
06-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Jerry,
I thought so,
Thanks alot!!!
Brian

Thom Walker
06-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Brian,
Thought you might find interesting.

Siemens Introduces Combination ARC Fault Circuit Interrupters (http://www2.sea.siemens.com/News/Construction/Siemens-Introduces-Combination-ARC-Fault-Circuit_Interupters.htm)

Richard Rushing
06-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Yeah... thank's Gerry:)

RR

Jerry Peck
06-05-2007, 05:09 AM
Brian,
Thought you might find interesting.

Siemens Introduces Combination ARC Fault Circuit Interrupters (http://www2.sea.siemens.com/News/Construction/Siemens-Introduces-Combination-ARC-Fault-Circuit_Interupters.htm)

But ...

They are not "combination AFCI and GFCI", only combinations of types of AFCI to protect against various types of arcs.

Thom Walker
06-05-2007, 05:47 AM
That is correct.
What I found interesting was that with this one detecting arcs at loose connection it seems to have implications for Al conductors. I haven't seen any testing data yet. Wonder if any mfrs have thought about it?

This is major drift. Sorry, Brian

David Banks
06-05-2007, 06:11 AM
Richard I mean Rodney how does it feel under the Bus? I mean I get no respect!

Mitchell Captain
06-05-2007, 06:17 AM
That is correct.
What I found interesting was that with this one detecting arcs at loose connection it seems to have implications for Al conductors. I haven't seen any testing data yet. Wonder if any mfrs have thought about it?

This is major drift. Sorry, Brian

I think I asked Doug when this first came out as to a solution for AL wiring. He gave me a long explanation, bottom lime will not work.

Captain