PDA

View Full Version : Clothes dryer in bedroom

Tony Escamilla
07-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Can anyone tell me if a clothes dryer is allowed in a bedroom? I have not been able to find a code that applies. The code clearly states that water heaters and furnaces (to some extent) cannot be installed in a bedroom. And the the code for combustion air doesn't seem to apply becuase it's not unusually tight construction.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Tony Escamilla

A.D. Miller
07-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Can anyone tell me if a clothes dryer is allowed in a bedroom? I have not been able to find a code that applies. The code clearly states that water heaters and furnaces (to some extent) cannot be installed in a bedroom. And the the code for combustion air doesn't seem to apply becuase it's not unusually tight construction.

Tony Escamilla

TE: Look here for starters:

http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZVENTILATION/WED5700VW_Ventilation%20Specification.pdf

And, how many inpspectors note these conditions?

A.D. Miller
07-20-2009, 04:57 AM
And certainly everyone does this test. Right?

Jay Walker
07-20-2009, 07:36 AM
Haven't seen any references to no Dryers in the bedroom.

Mr. Miller - I appreciate your references to the clearance and back pressure standard. May I ask where these diagrams (your attachements) are referenced? (IRC, NFPA, Manufacturers reference?)

I'm new to this inspection forum and this is my first post.

Thanks!

Jay Walker
Tallahassee, Fl
CSIA & CDET Certified

A.D. Miller
07-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Haven't seen any references to no Dryers in the bedroom.

Mr. Miller - I appreciate your references to the clearance and back pressure standard. May I ask where these diagrams (your attachements) are referenced? (IRC, NFPA, Manufacturers reference?)

I'm new to this inspection forum and this is my first post.

Thanks!

Jay Walker
Tallahassee, Fl
CSIA & CDET Certified

JW: They are from Whirlpool at:

http://www.whirlpool.com/assets/pdfs/product/ZVENTILATION/WED5700VW_Ventilation%20Specification.pdf

A.D. Miller
07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
FYI: There is a similar testing procedure for toilets as indicated below. Not one I would try at home though.:confused:

A.D. Miller
07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
Well then, here it is:

Jerry Peck
07-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Tony,

Clothes dryers are likely not prohibited from being in bedrooms as it is considered an attended appliance, versus the automatic appliances mentioned (water heater, furnaces, etc.).

Thus, when one is using the clothes dryer they are not sleeping, or if someone is sleeping in that bedroom there is someone else who is using the clothes dryer. Also, the clothes dryer will not come on automatically but will shut off automatically at the end of its cycle.

The problem would come in as Aaron mentioned in his reference - make up air for not only combustion air but also for exhaust air make up.

A.D. Miller
07-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Sorry, the Hann's circus for a website has gone all needle-dick on me:

John Arnold
07-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Sorry, the Hann's has gone all needle-dick on me:

You're supposed to vomit into the toilet to test it?!

Ted Menelly
07-20-2009, 01:45 PM
And certainly everyone does this test. Right?

Ahhhh, yup. I do it every time...............Riiiiiiiiight

Randy Cooper
07-20-2009, 03:02 PM

Tony Escamilla

The codes doesn't address clothes dryers in bedrooms. The new codes want all appliances installed per their listing. A clothes dryer is a listed appliance and I doubt that the listing prohibits the instaltion in a bedroom.