PDA

View Full Version : balcony support??

Shawn Thompson
07-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Got a call from a realtor today asking me what the support should be under a baclony. Balcony is off of master bedroom which is on the second floor. The roof over the balcony is some sort of tile roof separate from the main roof of the house. Can the floor be braced with 2X6 every 24"? (this may be very vague, i know, i have not seen the baclony, just going off of info that I got) Is there a specific code that I can refer him to so that he can inform his clients one way or the other.

Matt Fellman
07-20-2009, 07:26 PM
An HI is not a designer.... The realtor is likely well meaning but is looking for answers in the wrong place. There are span tables in the code book which it sounds like you are eluding to but I'd hesitate to even give them that info.... otherwise, you'll be sitting down with your code book trying to map out a design for them. Stay far away from it. Tell them to talk to a contractor.

Gunnar Alquist
07-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Got a call from a realtor today asking me what the support should be under a baclony. Balcony is off of master bedroom which is on the second floor. The roof over the balcony is some sort of tile roof separate from the main roof of the house. Can the floor be braced with 2X6 every 24"? (this may be very vague, i know, i have not seen the baclony, just going off of info that I got) Is there a specific code that I can refer him to so that he can inform his clients one way or the other.

Shawn,

Simpson Strong-Tie has a great website with deck hardware requirements. You won't get the joist span tables, but all of the hardware requirements are there. I would refer the realtor to that site. Simpson Strong-Tie - Helping to Build Stronger, Safer Structures (http://www.strong-tie.com)

A.D. Miller
07-21-2009, 03:11 AM
ST: I can read span tables and build whatever needs to be built, but will not answer questions like this, especially not for agents (who should know better). I keep a short list of structural engineers in my Blackberry for these sorts of questions. As MF noted, you are not a design professional and should not hold forth as one. Refer those types of questions to those who are qualified (and insured) to answer them.;)

Markus Keller
07-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Do NOT answer this question to a realtor. The fact that the realtor is asking you instead of the potential client is a red flag already. Any type of substantive answer to the realtor could get you in trouble.
It is doubtful the realtor would pass on your warnings and variables properly or fully, thereby having a person who is ill-informed.
You don't need to cite Code. It is a design question suited for an Arch, SE, or permit process.
As AD mentioned one could check span tables and design a safe balcony structure. As an HI for a client it is not advisable.
2x6 24" OC. might be good out to 2-3 feet max. Good enough for plants. I wouldn't sit out there and drink coffee.