View Full Version : Service point terminology

Michael Thomas
06-04-2007, 05:53 PM
What is the correct term for the boxlike insulating cover installed by a utility at a service point?

James Duffin
06-04-2007, 06:07 PM
My guess is a weatherhead. In my area it is installed by the electrician and not the power company. This is for an overhead service.

Michael Thomas
06-04-2007, 06:09 PM
What is the difference between a raceway and a gutter?

James Duffin
06-04-2007, 07:50 PM
A simple answer is that a raceway is enclosed and a gutter has a removable cover. Do you have a specific application in mind?

Michael Thomas
06-04-2007, 08:00 PM
Not the weather-head... the term I'm looking for is for the boxlike plastic cover for the splice at the service point (where the drop is spliced to the service conductors) that prevents you from observing the spliced ends of the drop and the SCs to determine their material/size, shown at the "splice" point in this diagram:

Eric Barker
06-04-2007, 08:09 PM
One of these.

James Duffin
06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
I would feel comfortable calling it the "plastic insulating cover".

Michael Thomas
06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Gutter vs. raceway. Thanks, I'm at home and the pic is on the office computer, the connection in question is between the service panel (if that's the correct term in this situation, the panel had a disconnect but AFAICT no OCPD) upstream of a meter bank in a 30 unit condo. If a gutter has a removable cover, this was a raceway.

Next question, is conduit ever considered "raceway"?

Michael Thomas
06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks Eric, that's it.

I used to know the name, but it escapes me at the moment...

Seems to happen to me about once a week these days.

Last week it was "bell-cast eave"... drives me crazy... I was standing there taking to a client, and I just COULD NOT dredge it up...

Eric Barker
06-04-2007, 08:25 PM

There was a discussion on these sometime ago. Many opinions on what to call them. Someone had a good term that they used --------- but I forgot what is was!

Splice cover
Splice shield

Thom Walker
06-04-2007, 08:27 PM
doohickey is a plumbing, not electrical term.:D

Jerry Peck
06-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Next question, is conduit ever considered "raceway"?

Conduit is always a raceway.

Raceway. An enclosed channel of metal or nonmetallic materials designed expressly for holding wires, cables, or busbars, with additional functions as permitted in this Code. Raceways include, but are not limited to, rigid metal conduit, rigid nonmetallic conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible conduit, flexible metallic tubing, flexible metal conduit, electrical nonmetallic tubing, electrical metallic tubing, underfloor raceways, cellular concrete floor raceways, cellular metal floor raceways, surface raceways, wireways, and busways.

Unless it is used as an antenna mast or to hold a clothesline. :D

Michael Thomas
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM